The Charlotte Nicholson Postgraduate Bursary in History 2016-17
Issued: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 14:55:00 BST
This bursary is awarded annually to a student who has been awarded a place on a taught postgraduate programme in History, American Studies or War Studies at the University of Glasgow, and who would otherwise not receive funding for Masters study.
The terms and conditions are as follows:
- The bursary shall be awarded to a student who has already accepted the offer to undertake study for one of the following taught postgraduate degrees at the University of Glasgow:
• the MLitt/MSc in History, Gender History, Scottish History, History of Medicine, Medieval History, Early Modern History, Modern History
• the MLitt in American Studies
• the MLitt in War Studies
- Students already in receipt of an award which covers the full cost of tuition fees will not be eligible to apply.
- The bursary must be used to cover the cost of tuition fees.
- The bursary will amount to the equivalent of the tuition fees charged to Home and EU students to undertake one of the above-named degrees named at the University of Glasgow. In 2016-17 the value of the bursary will be £6,950.
- The bursary will be paid in a single instalment at the start of the academic session, at the point when tuition fees become payable.
- The bursary may be awarded to a Home/EU or International student.
- The award shall be made primarily on the basis of academic merit and motivation. Weight may also be given to the level of financial need where this is possible to evidence.
- Selection shall be undertaken by the Head of Subject in History and/or her/his nominated staff members.
Applicants should submit the following:
- the full applications they made for postgraduate study at the University of Glasgow, including current CV and two academic references
- evidence of acceptance of the offer to undertake postgraduate study at the University of Glasgow
- a personal statement of no more than 500 words setting out the applicant’s research interests
Applications should be sent via e-mail to the Convenor of Taught Postgraduate Programmes in History, Dr Martin MacGregor (Martin.MacGregor@glasgow.ac.uk).
The deadline for submission is FRIDAY 15 JULY 2016. Decisions will be made and applicants notified by MONDAY 8 AUGUST 2016.