Eleanor Dunlop Doctoral Scholarship in Scottish History
Issued: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 15:21:00 BST
This fees-only scholarship will be awarded to a student who has already accepted a place to study for the degree of PhD in Scottish History within the School of Humanities at the University of Glasgow, commencing in academic session 2016-17, and who is not otherwise in receipt of funding.
This is an exciting opportunity to pursue an original doctoral research project within the School of Humanities, University of Glasgow. History at Glasgow was ranked in the top 20 in the UK at the last REF exercise (2014) and for Impact and Environment was in the top five. Scottish History is a specific specialism within the History Group, and the Scottish History group has recorded major research successes in recent years, including attracting over £1m in external funding in the period 2010-2013.
- Have a first or upper-second class honours degree or equivalent in History or a related subject
- Have completed a Masters level qualification in History, although related disciplines will be considered. Candidates who are currently in the final year of a relevant Masters degree are eligible to apply.
The other terms and conditions are:
- The scholarship will be awarded to a student who has already accepted the offer to undertake study for the degree of PhD in Scottish History within the School of Humanities at the University of Glasgow, commencing in session 2016-17.
- Students already in receipt of the award of a fees-only or fees-and-stipend scholarship will not be eligible to apply.
- The scholarship will commence on 1 October 2016 and will be tenable for three years, subject to satisfactory progress.
- The scholarship must be used to cover the costs of fees.
- In each of the three years for which the scholarship is held, it will amount to the equivalent of the fees charged to Home and EU students to undertake the degree of PhD in Scottish History within the School of Humanities at the University of Glasgow. In 2016-17 the scholarship will amount to £4,121.
- The scholarship will be paid in a single instalment at the commencement of the academic year, at the point when fees become payable.
- The scholarship will be awarded to a Home or EU student.
- The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and motivation
- The award of the scholarship will be determined by the Chair in Scottish History and/or the Chair’s nominees.
Candidates wishing to apply should submit the following:
- A statement of no more than 1,000 words setting out your PhD research proposal
- A current CV and 2 academic references
- A transcript of qualifications to date (and anticipated results if you are still studying for your Masters)
- A specimen of scholarly work of no more than 5000 words (e.g. a full essay or dissertation chapter)
Applications should be submitted bye-mail to the Head of the Scottish History Area, Dr Catriona Macdonald. The deadline for submission is FRIDAY 22 JULY 2016. Decisions will be made and applicants notified by MONDAY 15 AUGUST 2016.