Dr Paul McCrorie
- Research Fellow (MRC/CSO Social & Public Health Sciences Unit)
Paul joined the MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit (SPHSU) in September 2012 and is a Research Fellow within the School of Health of Wellbeing. Paul is the lead researcher on the SPACES (Studying Physical Activity in Children's Environments across Scotland) study and is working with Professor Rich Mitchell and the Places and Health team to investigate the role of the built and natural environment and local neighbourhood on children’s health and physical activity levels and behaviours.
Paul’s primary research focus lies is the physical activity levels and behaviours of children and young people; he is specifically interested in the built, natural, and social environmental determinants of this health behaviour.
Alognside Dr Anne Martin, Paul co-leads a program of work evaluating the impact of attending nature nurseries on the health and wellbeing of young children, their parents, nursery staff, and their wider communities.
Please check Google Scholar where full details of Paul’s publication history can be found.
Research Interests: Physical activity and health, physical activity in young people, nature nurseries, children and adolescents, walkability, physical activity policy.
Current research topics: Population physical activity levels, environmental determinants of physical activity, Complex intervention evaluation, GPS and GIS analysis.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- World Class Labs Captial Funding 2020/23
Medical Research Council
2020 - 2021
- Systematic review on the potential of outdoor nurseries for promoting learning, social relationships, health and wellbeing in early childhood
2019 - 2020
- Children Create: Amplifying the voices of children in the translation of physical activity related scientific evidence
2019 - 2020
- Investigating the relationship between greenspace and health in Scottish schoolchildren. The Greenspace Availability and Scottish Schoolchildren (GRASS) project
Glasgow Children`s Hospital Charity
2018 - 2019
- Measuring Physical Activity in Growing Up in Scotland Study
2015 - 2017
- Growing up in Scotland
2013 - 2014
- Traynor, Oliver
Evaluation of outdoor nursery provision for child, family and community health and wellbeing
Paul teaches on the MSc Public Health Nutrition and the ICAMS BSc (Med Sci) Clinical Medicine degree programmes. He also supervises Masters dissertaions in the Masters in Public Health programme.