Dr Gillian Fergie
- Research Fellow (MRC/CSO Social & Public Health Sciences Unit)
- Associate (School of Social & Political Sciences)
Gillian Fergie is a Research Associate in the Improving Healthy Public Policy Programme at the MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit. She currently works on a range of projects using qualitative and mixed methods to explore people’s engagement with contemporary health issues and debates.
Gillian is interested in the use of participatory research methods, community-engaged research and public engagement with research. She currently leads the UKRI ESRC/AHRC funded Creative Insights project which involves working with young people in Glasgow and Leeds to generate creative responses to the enduring problem of addressing health inequalities.
Before joining the Improving Healthy Public Policy Programme Gillian completed her PhD exploring online engagement and health experiences in the age of social media. Prior to this, she graduated with an MA (hons) in History and an MSc in Social Science Research, both from the University of Glasgow. She worked as a research assistant from 2008-2010 on a project developing academic writing support for postgraduates at University College London, and maintains an interest in the practice of academic writing.
Research interests: e-health, social media, health inequalities, health literacy, public understandings of health, experiences of health and illness, young people.
Expertise: qualitative methods, participatory research methods, public engagement, media analysis.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Forging policy coherence for a just and sustainable future in Scotland: Glasgow local policy partnerships case study (GALOPP)
Economic and Social Research Council
2023 - 2023
- Developing a platform for evaluating a `Minimum Income Guarantee' policy and modelling major income supplementation reforms
National Institute for Health Research
2023 - 2024
- Epidemiology, trends, patterns in life expectancy and risk factors for health inequalities
The Health Foundation
2022 - 2022
- SPHSU/MRC EU - Participatory Systems Mapping
Medical Research Council
2021 - 2021
- Developing a participatory approach for exploring young people's perspectives on health inequalities
Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
2019 - 2021
Gillian teaches qualitative methods, including focus group facilitation, qualitative interviewing, online research methods and analysing qualitative data. She also runs sessions on public engagement and public involvement in research.