Dr Anna Black
- Affiliate (School of Health & Wellbeing)
Dr Anna Black (née Matthews) is a GP in Glasgow and an Affiliate research fellow and PhD student in the department of General Practice and Primary Care. Anna works as a GP locum in various practices throughout Glasgow, in addition to regular work at the Youth Health Service and St Vincent’s Hospice. She is also a founding non-executive board member of Public Health Scotland and a part-time Scottish Human Rights Commissioner.
Anna is in the writing up year of her PhD which she has been studying part-time since 2012. Her PhD has focused on women who are asylum seekers and refugees’ access to preventive primary care health services, particularly cervical screening. This has used qualitative methodology and the theories of intersectionality and candidacy.
Anna has facilitated training around caring for asylum seekers and refugees in primary care and female genital mutilation awareness to all disciplines of primary care in the West of Scotland: trainees, practice nurses, practice managers, GP trainers, GPs and Deep End pioneers.
Anna was been on the board of Govan Community Project (GCP) for 7 years. Holding the position of Vice-Chair for 5 of these and Chair for year 2019-2020. GCP (previously GCIN) is an integration network for the community of Govan, asylum seekers and refugees. It also has a social enterprise - Voiceover.
- Member of the Royal College of General Practice (MRCGP) 2019
- Diploma of Child Health, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 2012
- Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, University of Liverpool 2011
- MbChB University of Dundee 2008
- International Health BSc (hons), University of Leeds 2006
- Health inequalities
- Primary care
- Migration health
- Vulnerable groups
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Exploring how asylum seeking and refugee women respond to preventive health interventions: cervical screening as a case study
Royal College of General Practitioners
2013 - 2014