Dr Lazaros Karaliotas
- Lecturer in Human Georgraphy (School of Geographical & Earth Sciences)
My research explores the intersections between the urban and the political. I am interested in:
- the role of cities in process of de-politicization and re-politicization and in the relations between cities, nature and politics
- urban geography
- political philosophy
- urban uprisings and movements
- urban commons
- geographies of populism
- urban governance and politics, with particular reference to urban infrastructures
- geographies of neoliberalization and austerity
- geographies of post-democratization
- urban political ecology, with particular reference to the politics of urban sustainability, climate change, and the Anthropocene
Hallsworth Research Fellowship – University of Manchester. Project title: Exploring urban re-politicization: Urban political movements and solidarity networks in the aftermath of the ‘Greek crisis’
The Leverhulme Trust - Early Career Fellowship. Project title: Exploring the politicising urban in, against and beyond austerity urbanism. I declined the offer to take up a post at the University of Manchester as the Hallsworth Research Fellow.
Carnegie Trust Research Incentive Grant Project title: Urban Political Movements in times of crisis and austerity: The case of Thessaloniki.
The project explored the emancipatory socio-spatial experiments unfolding in the midst of the “Greek crisis”, particularly focusing on the network of Solidarity Health Clinics and the occupation and self-management of the country’s Public Broadcasting Service.
The Lipman-Milibant Trust PI: David Featherstone, Co-I: Lazaros Karaliotas "After Neoliberalism: Scotland and Alternative Political Futures"
- Ben Gowland "The spatial politics of Caribbean Black Power: Praxis, Theory and Transnational Exchange" (with Dr David Featherstone and Dr Ian Shaw)
- Ana Santamarina Guerrero "Building translocal solidarities: Glasgow and Madrid contesting urban neoliberal geopolitics of racism" (with Dr David Featherstone)
- Viktoria Noka "Geographies of anti-nuclear energy movements" (with Dr David Featherstone)
- Josephine Zimba "Assessing the effect of climate variability and urbanisation on sustainable livelihoods in urban areas" (with Professor Deborah Dixon)
- Hampton, Sara
Infrastructures of Solidarity...
- Hwang, Jeongha
Grounding Creativity: Urban Politics and hidden actors in Dongdaemun fashion cluster’s restructuring
- Noka, Viktoria
The Wendland Movement: Anti-Nuclear Energy Protests in Germany
- Santamarina Guerrero, Ana
Undoing borders, building the commons: The solidarity politics of the No Evictions Network in Glasgow