Sally Jack

As someone who had yet to study geology prior to becoming a student at the University of Glasgow, I was keen to choose a programme that would allow me to gain the broadest insight into what could be achieved from studying the subject, whilst also getting the chance to put theory into practice in the field. The course at GES provides these things, but as I’ve discovered, a whole lot more. The course content itself is widely varied, giving you a chance to find your particular field of interest quickly, with constant and brilliant support from the members of staff in the department.

The university is in an amazing location – Glasgow is a vibrant city, and a great place to be a student. With plenty to do and see – gigs, bars/clubs, restaurants, shops – I knew I’d enjoy living here. The university buildings are all on campus in the West End, and so travelling around between classes is easy, as well as there being everything you need in this part of the city.

The Gregory (Earth Science) Building is the most useful facility being that it is the hub of all things Geology – with most classes taking place here. However, it is also open to students studying at any time, with the lecturers having an open-door policy to their offices. The staff have honestly been the biggest support, with regular adviser of studies meetings giving you a chance to voice any queries or worries in a safe environment. Obviously goes without saying, but the massive library is also a go-to for revision and studying!

My advice to someone considering coming to Glasgow is to do it! The nature of a Geology BSc at Glasgow means that you are taught very quickly how to be an independent and well-rounded geologist, whilst also making close friends and seeing some beautiful places through geology-tinted glasses on the field trips undertaken every year. Also, say yes to everything offered to you and make the most of the experience!