Grace Chilongo

What course did you study?

I’m Grace from Malawi and I studied Earth Futures: Environments, Communities, and Relationships MSc. The programme is an interdisciplinary programme that links diverse knowledge from social sciences and physical sciences. Through the different courses that I have undertaken in this programme, I have been equipped with expertise, experiences and skills to tackle environmental and societal challenges of sustainable development.

During my work experience at UNICEF: African Drone and Data Academy, I felt fortunate to experience first-hand the many different sides of challenge-led projects. This included the general process of how a project is initially planned, developed, and completed. I was able to meet with different organisations and experts during meetings which in turn, have provided me with more insight into the different types of roles and responsibilities that I could perform to address global emergencies.

Why did you choose to come to University of Glasgow over other universities?

When I was doing my undergrad final semester at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resource in Malawi, I was involved in a research project which was in collaboration with University of Glasgow. I was more interested in the way the researchers from University of Glasgow were handling the whole research process, that’s what motivated me the most. I was curious to learn more about research, especially qualitative research in the field of physical and social sciences, and that’s why I opted to do masters in Earth futures at University of Glasgow. In addition, I believe there isn’t a more exciting privilege in life than to be able to discover new places, meet new people and to just surround yourself in traditions and cultures that are entirely different from your own. Getting to experience these things is other reason why I wanted to study in Scotland. Not everyone is blessed with such an opportunity, making it even more priceless.

What is the culture like as a PGT student in the College of Science and Engineering?

Academically, the Postgraduate School is much more independent and focused when compared to an undergraduate degree, there is an expectation to undertake pre-session preparation as well as post-session activities. On top of required reading, I would receive lists of supplemental readings that were related to following week’s topic. It was always helpful to do some supplementary reading as it improved class discussions and clarified the topics that were being covered. The best thing about this programme is that there are quite number of graded assignments.

What do you like about living in Glasgow?

I was expecting the living cost to be high but to my surprise Glasgow is very affordable, however it depends on your lifestyle. I love the way University of Glasgow is handling the pandemic. They are trying their best to make life as normal as possible. I had access to the facilities I needed. The library was open during weekdays and weekends, and safety measures were implemented to keep us all well during this confusing time. I was getting updated news and protocols about Covid from the university, and this helped me a lot in terms of managing my routines. To be honest, I felt safe living in Glasgow.  

Any tips/advice you would give other students applying?

If you are passionate about preparing for and responding to a crisis in your own country, I would recommend MSc in Earth futures at the University of Glasgow. What to expect and how to prepare? Online reading is useful in terms of preparation for classes? My list wasn’t too long but I chose to read around the subjects.

You can never be too prepared, get a head start and get your reading list, enrol as soon as you can and set up your email/Join Facebook groups for your cohort, during your reading and general research, and consider topics you would like to explore.

For all international students, have an open mind. Glasgow is a magnificent city and there is so much beauty in its nature and its people. When you are coming, please make sure to bring warm clothes. Do not be afraid to chat to people, they are very nice, understanding, and considerate.

I would like to thank the conveners for this programme. Being the first cohort, I feel like they have done a very great job. Their approach to teaching was the best because students were actively involved in the discussions which were always lively and to the point. The convenors were never distant from the students. I consider myself very fortunate to be trained by experienced lecturers and professors, they have broadened both my thinking and analytic ability.