Daisy Jamieson

Coming to study at the University of Glasgow was an easy choice for me to make. I wanted to study Human Geography and the department at the University of Glasgow has an excellent reputation internationally and the research the department produces is so varied and interesting. There is a real radical streak to Glasgow, and the teaching here regularly challenged my previously held viewpoints, making every class so engaging and exciting to take.

The city of Glasgow is also a great place to be a student and there is so much to do. There is everything from a strong grassroots activist scene to a great night out and there are plenty of arts and culture as well as great food. It is a very vibrant city with a strong industrial past but also a young population, so it is a very exciting place to live.

The University of Glasgow provides an excellent Careers Service which I found to be incredibly useful. I had meetings with careers advisers, support with writing CVs and I also went along to some talks they ran, where previous alumni spoke about their own career journeys and the steps they took to get there. Through the university’s Internship Hub, I also managed to secure two different internships which definitely boosted my future career opportunities.

Glasgow is an incredible city and an amazing place to study so make the most of it! Human Geography is quite a unique subject in that it is very broad so do not be afraid to take a diverse range of classes as this is what sets you apart from other graduates. I would also advise any potential student to get stuck in and involved with local campaigns in Glasgow. Throughout my time here I have been involved with different climate, migrant and food justice campaigns which have taught me so much about the city and the world.