Dr Christos Anagnostopoulos
- Senior Lecturer in Distributed & Pervasive Computing (Computing Science)
I am an Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in Distributed and Pervasive Computing, School of Computing Science, University of Glasgow. My expertise is in the areas of large-scale distributed data systems and in-network data management. I have received funding for my research by the EC/H2020, UK EPSRC and the industry. I am an author of over 160 refereed scientific journals/conferences [scholar]. I am leading the Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Computing Lab within the Knowledge and Data Engineering Systems Group (IDA Section). Before joining Glasgow, I was an Assistant Professor at Ionian University (2013) and Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Athens (2009). I have held Postdoctoral position at University of Athens and Research Fellow at University of Glasgow in the area of context-aware & large-scale distributed computing. I hold a BSc, MSc, and PhD in Computing Science, University of Athens (2008), I am an associate fellow of the HEA and member of ACM, IEEE and IEEE STC.
Visit my research Lab: Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Computing
My interests and contributions are in large-scale networked data systems, distributed computing, predictive learning systems, and context-awareness. Throughout my career, I have been conducting research in distributed computing algorithms for machine learning, in-network data processing, stochastic optimization, epidemical-based information dissemination, and inferential analytics at the Edge. Currently, I have established theorerical and analytical models & algorithms for in-network and distributed data processing. I have published extensively in top journals, ACM/IEEE Transactions, and conferences in the above areas. I am an associate fellow of the HEA, member of ACM and IEEE and member of IEEE Special Technical Community (Smart and Circular Cities).
I am leading the Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Computing Lab.
[*] EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IF (MSCA): Intelligent Applications over Large Scale Data Streams (INNOVATE); 2018-2020. PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
INNOVATE proposes novel methodologies and solutions adopting a pool of computational intelligence schemes and ensemble learning models for fusing local pieces of knowledge in a timely and efficient way. Distributed stochastic optimization techniques will be developed to provide efficient solutions that can support large-scale data steam-based predictive analytics.
[*] EU H2020 FIRE+: Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV) 2018-2019. PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV) is an extension of the Glasgow Network Functions (GNF) framework that operates over UxV infrastructures being particularly well-suited for operating over resourced-constrained and mobile Internet of Things (IoT) environments. GNFUV aims to showcase the capabilities of UxVs as hosting platforms for (virtualised) tasks, ranging from always-on monitoring and network topology self-management, to in-network, contextual information processing algorithms for edge-computing predictive analytics.
[*] UK EPSRC: Closed-Loop Data Science for Complex, Computationally- and Data-Intensive Analytics (CLDS) 2018-2022. co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos; PI: Prof R Murray-Smith.
Progress in sensing, computational power, storage and analytic tools has given us access to enormous amounts of complex data, which can inform us of better ways to manage our cities, run our companies or develop new medicines. However, the 'elephant in the room' is that when we act on that data we change the world, potentially invalidating the older data. In this project we will look at the overlap between the challenge someone faces when coping with all the choices associated with booking a flight for a weekend away, and an expert running complex experiments in a laboratory.
[*] EU Erasmus+ KA2: Personalised Recommendations and Internationalisation for MOOCs in European Schools (PRIMES), 2016-2019. co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
PRIMES aims to produce a novel e-learning platform, combining the wide reach and popularity of MOOCs with advanced artificial intelligence and data summarisation algorithms, to provide a truly personalised learning experience, fitted to the needs and characteristics of teenager (secondary school) students.
[*] BMW Research Group: Advanced Federated Learning in Vehicle Networks, 2019-2021. PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
[*] NXP Research: In-vehicle Edge Data Analytics, 2020-2021. co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
[*] NHS Golden Jubilee: Risk Prediction Models in Congenital Diseases, 2021. (PIs: Dr C Anagnostopoulos; Dr F Deligianni)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. , Koziri, M. and Loukopoulos, T. (2020) Proactive & time-optimized data synopsis management at the edge. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, (doi: 10.1109/TKDE.2020.3021377) (Early Online Publication)
Kolomvatsos, K. and Anagnostopoulos, C. (2020) An intelligent edge-centric queries allocation scheme based on ensemble models. ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, 20(4), 45. (doi: 10.1145/3417297)
Panagidi, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. , Chalvatzaras, A. and Hadjietfthymiades, S. (2020) To transmit or not to transmit: controlling the communications in the mobile IoT domain. ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, 20(3), 22. (doi: 10.1145/3369389)
Savva, F. , Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2020) Adaptive learning of aggregate analytics under dynamic workloads. Future Generation Computer Systems, 109, pp. 317-330. (doi: 10.1016/j.future.2020.03.063)
Savva, F. , Anagnostopoulos, C. , Triantafillou, P. and Kolomvatsos, K. (2020) Large-scale data exploration using explanatory regression functions. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 14(6), 76. (doi: 10.1145/3410448)
Savva, F. , Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2020) SuRF: Identification of Interesting Data Regions with Surrogate Models. In: 36th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE), Dallas, TX, USA, 20-24 April 2020, pp. 1321-1332. ISBN 9781728129037 (doi: 10.1109/ICDE48307.2020.00118)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2020) Large-scale predictive modeling and analytics through regression queries in data management systems. International Journal of Data Science and Analytics, 9(1), pp. 17-55. (doi: 10.1007/s41060-018-0163-5)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Kolomvatsos, K. (2019) An intelligent, time-optimized monitoring scheme for edge nodes. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 148, 102458. (doi: 10.1016/j.jnca.2019.102458)
Cziva, R., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Pezaros, D. P. (2018) Dynamic, Latency-Optimal vNF Placement at the Network Edge. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2018), Honolulu, HI, USA, 15-19 Apr 2018, pp. 693-701. ISBN 9781538641286 (doi: 10.1109/INFOCOM.2018.8486021)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Savva, F. and Triantafillou, P. (2018) Scalable aggregation predictive analytics: a query-driven machine learning approach. Applied Intelligence, 48(9), pp. 2546-2567. (doi: 10.1007/s10489-017-1093-y)
Ali, A., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Pezaros, D. P. (2018) On the Optimality of Virtualized Security Function Placement in Multi-Tenant Data Centers. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2018), Kansas City, MO, USA, 20-24 May 2018, ISBN 9781538631805 (doi: 10.1109/ICC.2018.8422426)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2017) Data fusion and type-2 fuzzy inference in contextual data stream monitoring. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 47(8), pp. 1839-1853. (doi: 10.1109/TSMC.2016.2560533)
Cahsai, A., Anagnostopoulos, C. , Ntarmos, N. and Triantafillou, P. (2017) Scaling k-Nearest Neighbors Queries (The Right Way). In: 2017 IEEE 37th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), Atlanta, GA, USA, 5-8 June 2017, pp. 1419-1430. ISBN 9781538617939 (doi: 10.1109/ICDCS.2017.267)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2017) Query-driven learning for predictive analytics of data subspace cardinality. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 11(4), 47. (doi: 10.1145/3059177)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2017) Efficient Scalable Accurate Regression Queries in In-DBMS Analytics. In: IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), San Diego, CA, USA, 19-22 Apr 2017, pp. 559-570. ISBN 9781509065431 (doi: 10.1109/ICDE.2017.111)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Kolomvatsos, K. (2016) Accurate, dynamic, and distributed localization of phenomena for mobile sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 12(2), 9. (doi: 10.1145/2882966)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2016) Distributed localized contextual event reasoning under uncertainty. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 4(1), pp. 183-191. (doi: 10.1109/JIOT.2016.2638119)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Kolomvatsos, K. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2015) Time-optimised user grouping in location based services. Computer Networks, 81, pp. 220-244. (doi: 10.1016/j.comnet.2015.02.017)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2015) Learning set cardinality in distance nearest neighbours. In: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (IEEE ICDM 2015), Atlantic City, NJ, USA, 14-17 Nov 2015, pp. 691-696. ISBN 9781467395038 (doi: 10.1109/ICDM.2015.17)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) An efficient recommendation system based on the optimal stopping theory. Expert Systems with Applications, 41(15), pp. 6796-6806. (doi: 10.1016/j.eswa.2014.04.039)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) Advanced principal component-based compression schemes for wireless sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 11(1), 7. (doi: 10.1145/2629330)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) Intelligent trajectory classification for improved movement prediction. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 44(10), pp. 1301-1314. (doi: 10.1109/TSMC.2014.2316742)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2014) Scaling out Big Data Missing Value Imputations: Pythia vs. Godzilla. In: 20th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD '14), New York, N.Y., U.S.A, 24-27 Aug 2014, pp. 651-660. ISBN 9781450329569 (doi: 10.1145/2623330.2623615)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) Determining the optimal stopping time for automated negotiations. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 44(7), pp. 908-921. (doi: 10.1109/TSMC.2013.2279665)
Anagnostopoulos, C. (2014) Time-optimized contextual information forwarding in mobile sensor networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 74(5), pp. 2317-2332. (doi: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2014.01.008)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2013) Multivariate context collection in mobile sensor networks. Computer Networks, 57(6), pp. 1394-1407. (doi: 10.1016/j.comnet.2013.01.001)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Sekkas, O. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2012) An adaptive epidemic information dissemination model for wireless sensor networks. Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 8(5), pp. 751-763. (doi: 10.1016/j.pmcj.2011.06.005)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2012) Optimal, quality-aware scheduling of data consumption in mobile ad hoc networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 72(10), pp. 1269-1279. (doi: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2012.05.011)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Georgas, P. (2012) PC3: principal component-based context compression. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 72(2), pp. 155-170. (doi: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2011.10.001)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2012) A fuzzy logic system for bargaining in information markets. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, 3(2), pp. 1-26. (doi: 10.1145/2089094.2089108)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2011) Delay-tolerant delivery of quality information in ad hoc networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 71(7), pp. 974-987. (doi: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2010.11.007)
Anagnostopoulos, T., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2011) An adaptive location prediction model based on fuzzy control. Computer Communications, 34(7), pp. 816-834. (doi: 10.1016/j.comcom.2010.09.001)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Zervas, E. (2011) Information dissemination between mobile nodes for collaborative context awareness. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 10(12), pp. 1710-1725. (doi: 10.1109/TMC.2011.19)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Zervas, E. (2011) An analytical model for multi-epidemic information dissemination. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 71(1), pp. 87-104. (doi: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2010.08.010)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2009) Advanced inference in situation-aware computing. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Part A: Systems and Humans, 39(5), pp. 1108-1115. (doi: 10.1109/TSMCA.2009.2025023)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2008) Enhancing situation-aware systems through imprecise reasoning. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 7(10), pp. 1153-1168. (doi: 10.1109/TMC.2008.34)
- EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IF 2017 (MSCA): Intelligent Applications over Large Scale Data Streams (INNOVATE); 2018-2020; PI, £200K
- UK EPSRC: Closed-Loop Data Science for Complex, Computationally- and Data-Intensive Analytics (CLDS); 2018-2022; co-PI, £3M
- EU H2020 Future Internet Research and Experimentation (FIRE+): Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV); 2018-2019; PI, £100K
- EU Erasmus+ KA2: Personalised Recommendations and Internationalisation for MOOCs in European Schools (PRIMES), 2016-2019; co-PI, £414K
- BMW Research Group: Advanced Federated Learning in Vehicle Networks, 2019-2021; PI
- NXP Research: In-vehicle Edge Data Analytics, 2020-2021; co-PI
- NHS Research: Risk Prediction Models in Congenital Diseases, 2021.
Open PhD posts
- Prospective PhD Students: feel free to contact me via e-mail and visit my lab Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Computing [PhD Opportunities] and [School's PhD].
Former PhD Students
- Dr Kostas Kolomvatsos (University of Athens); 2010-2013. 'Automated Negotiations between Intelligent Entities in Electronic Marketplaces'.
- Dr Theodore Anagnostopoulos (University of Athens); 2009-2012. 'Advanced Location Prediction Techniques in Mobile Computing'.
- Dr Abeer Farouk Tawfeek Ali (University of Glasgow); 2017-2020. 'On the Placement of Security-related Virtualized Network Functions over Data Center Networks.'
- Dr Atoshum Samuel Cahsai (University of Glasgow); 2017-2020. 'Scaling kNN Queries using Statistical Learning'
- Dr Fotis Savva (University of Glasgow); 2018-2021. 'Query-driven Learning for Automating Exploratory Analytics in Large-scale Data Management Systems'
- Dr Natascha Harth (University of Glasgow); 2018-2021. 'Quality-aware predictive modelling & inferential analytics at the network edge'
- Dr Ibrahim Alghamdi (University of Glasgow); 2018-2021. 'Computation offloading in mobile edge computing: an optimal stopping theory approach'
Current PhD Students
- Aladwani, Tahani
Diagnosis of Diseases as Cloud Computing Service (DoDaaS)
- Ghanduri, Fatima H M
Predictive Intelligence of Interpretable Models in the Financial Domain
- Long, Qianyu
Distributed Statistical Learning over Data Streams at the Network Edge
- Ma, Wei
Scalable Efficient Multi-System Complex-Query Data Analytics
- Sagkriotis, Stefanos
Containerised NFV orchestration and management
- Wang, Qiyuan
Resource-aware & Adaptive Novelty Detection in Edge Computing Environments
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2019: Best Paper Runner-Up Award (IEEE Wireless Days)
- 2019: 2nd Place Student Research Competition (ACM SIGMOD)
- 2018: Best Student Paper (IEEE BigData)
- 2017: Nomination for Best Dissertation Supervisor (STA University of Glasgow)
- 2017: Best Poster Award (BMW Workshop)
- 2017: Best Poster Award (International Conference of Big Data in Cyber Security)
- 2018 - 2020: Marie Sklodowska-Curie (EU/MSCA-IF) Fellowship Supervisor
- 2015 - 2017: Big Data Research Fellow
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2020 - date: EU CHIST-ERA, Grant Proposal Reviewer and Panel Member
- 2021 - date: UK Research and Innovation Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF), Peer Review College (PRC) Member
- 2021 - date: Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF), Peer Reviewer
- 2020 - date: International Hellenic University, Faculty Board Election Member
- 2021 - date: Dutch Research Council, Peer Reviewer
- 2013 - 2014: Greek State Scholarship Foundation, Grant Fellowship Reviewer
- 2021 - present: IEEE Access (Associate Editor)
- 2015 - present: Applied Intelligence (Springer)
- 2015 - present: International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks (SAGE)
- 2019 - present: Open Computer Science (De Gruyter)
- 2016 - 2017: SI: Machine Learning and Computational Intelligence for Big Data; Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics (Springer)
- 2017 - 2018: SI: Mobile Sensor Networks; Electronics (MDPI)
- 2019 - 2020: SI: Distributed Artificial & Machine Intelligence in Evolving Sensor Networks, Journal of Distributed sensor Networks
- 2019 - 2020: SI: Recent Advancement in Edge/Fog Computing for Intelligent IoT Applications, Sensors J
- 2020 - 2021: SI: Intelligent Edge Computing for Smart Cities, Smart Cities J
Professional & learned societies
- 2017 - date: Professional Member, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- 2015 - date: Computer Society Member, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2016 - date: Associate Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- 2015 - date: Regular Member, INSTICC
Programme Committee Member
- IEEE Special Technical Community Smart and Circular Cities
- IEEE Cyber Security & Resilience IEEE CSR 2021
- IEEE International Workshop on Pervasive Intelligent Systems PIS 2017--2021
- IEEE International Workshop on Distributed and Intelligent Systems (DaIS 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Applications & Information Security IEEE ICCAIS 2021
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering; Intl Workshop of Data-Driven Smart Cities IEEE DASC/ICDE 2019-2021
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE 2016, KEYS 2016)IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications IEEE INFOCOM 2019-2021
- IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference IEEE CCNC 2018-2021
- Wireless Days 2019-2021 (IEEE WD'21)
- IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud IEEE FiCloud 2018
- IEEE Intelligent Systems Conference (IEEE IntelliSys 2015-2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things (IEEE FiCloud 2017)
- IEEE International Workshop on Information and Knowledge in the Internet of Things (IEEE IKIT 2017)
- 7th International Conference on Current and Future Trends of Information and Communication Technologies in Healthcare (ICTH 2017)
- IEEE International Conference on Big Data 2015; Session Chair: Data mining and learning (IEEE BigData 2015)
- IEEE International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications; Session Chair: Making Sense from Large-scale Data Streams (IEEE IISA 2016)
- International Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Cloud Computing (ALGOCLOUD 2015-2016)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Management Technologies and Applications (DATA 2016-2021)
- Workshop on Recent Advances in Behaviour Prediction and Pro-active Pervasive Computing (AwareCast-Pervasive 2012-2015);
- International Workshop on Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP 2012-2015)
- IEEE Panhellenic Conference on Informatics (PCI 2014-2021)
- International Workshop on Semantic Web for Services and Processes; Session Chair (SWSP07);
- International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR 2007);