Dr Christos Anagnostopoulos
- Lecturer in Distributed & Pervasive Computing (Computing Science)
Dr Christos (Chris) Anagnostopoulos is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Distributed and Pervasive Computing in the School of Computing Science at the University of Glasgow. His expertise is in the areas of network-centric pervasive & adaptive systems and in-network information processing in large-scale distributed computing networks. He has received funding for his research by the EC/H2020 and the industry. Dr Anagnostopoulos is coordinating (Principal Investigator) the projects: EU H2020/GNFUV and EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSCA)/INNOVATE, and is a co-PI of the EU PRIMES and UK EPSRC CLDS. Dr Anagnostopoulos is an author of over 140 refereed scientific journals/conferences [scholar], [dblp]. He is leading the Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Intelligence within the Knowledge and Data Engineering Systems Group (IDA Research Section). He is also an associate member of the Networked Systems Research (NETLAB). Dr Anagnostopoulos before joining Glasgow was an Assistant Professor at Ionian University and Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Athens and University of Thessaly. He has held postdoctoral positions at University of Glasgow and University of Athens in the areas of in-network context-aware mobile computing systems. He holds a BSc, MSc, and PhD in Computing Science, University of Athens. He is an associate fellow of the HEA, member of ACM and IEEE.
Christos' interests and contributions are in network-centric pervasive & adaptive systems and in-network processing in large-scale sensor/UxV/Edge networks. Throughout his career, Christos has been conducting research in distributed algorithms for machine learning and stochastic optimization, epidemical-based information and knowledge diffusion in DTNs, mobile computing environments, and inferential analytics at the network Edge. Currently, Christos has established analytical models & algorithms for in-network and decentralized data processing focusing on edge-centric models (visit: Essence for all the research topics). Christos has published extensively in top journals, ACM/IEEE Transactions, and conferences in the above areas and his research has been funded by EU and EPSRC research grants. He is member of the ACM and IEEE.
Funded Research Projects
[*] EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IF (MSCA): Intelligent Applications over Large Scale Data Streams (INNOVATE); 2018-2020.
PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
INNOVATE proposes novel methodologies and solutions adopting a pool of computational intelligence schemes and ensemble learning models for fusing local pieces of knowledge in a timely and efficient way. Distributed stochastic optimization techniques will be developed to provide efficient solutions that can support large-scale data steam-based predictive analytics.
[*] EU H2020 FIRE+: Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV) 2018-2019.
PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV) is an extension of the Glasgow Network Functions (GNF) framework that operates over UxV infrastructures being particularly well-suited for operating over resourced-constrained and mobile Internet of Things (IoT) environments. GNFUV aims to showcase the capabilities of UxVs as hosting platforms for (virtualised) tasks, ranging from always-on monitoring and network topology self-management, to in-network, contextual information processing algorithms for edge-computing predictive analytics.
[*] UK EPSRC: Closed-Loop Data Science for Complex, Computationally- and Data-Intensive Analytics (CLDS) 2018-2022
co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Progress in sensing, computational power, storage and analytic tools has given us access to enormous amounts of complex data, which can inform us of better ways to manage our cities, run our companies or develop new medicines. However, the 'elephant in the room' is that when we act on that data we change the world, potentially invalidating the older data. In this project we will look at the overlap between the challenge someone faces when coping with all the choices associated with booking a flight for a weekend away, and an expert running complex experiments in a laboratory.
[*] EU Erasmus+ KA2: Personalised Recommendations and Internationalisation for MOOCs in European Schools (PRIMES), 2016-2019.
co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
PRIMES aims to produce a novel e-learning platform, combining the wide reach and popularity of MOOCs with advanced artificial intelligence and data summarisation algorithms, to provide a truly personalised learning experience, fitted to the needs and characteristics of teenager (secondary school) students. PRIMES will further include pilot science, ICT and history courses, to be used, evaluated, and improved by students and teachers in the partnered schools.
[*] BMW Research Group: Advanced Federated Learning in Vehicle Networks, 2019-2020.
PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Research Lab: Within the School of Computing Science, Dr Anagnostopoulos is leading the Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Intelligence (IDA). He is a scientific collaborator with the Networked Systems Research (NETLAB) in Glasgow, and Pervasive Computing Research Group (P-COMP ), University of Athens.
- EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IF 2017 (MSCA): Intelligent Applications over Large Scale Data Streams (INNOVATE); 2018-2020; PI, £200K
- UK EPSRC: Closed-Loop Data Science for Complex, Computationally- and Data-Intensive Analytics (CLDS); 2018-2022; co-PI, £3M
- EU H2020 Future Internet Research and Experimentation (FIRE+): Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV); 2018-2019; PI, £100K
- EU Erasmus+ KA2: Personalised Recommendations and Internationalisation for MOOCs in European Schools (PRIMES), 2016-2019; co-PI, £414K
- BMW Research Group: Advanced Federated Learning in Vehicle Networks, 2019-2020; PI
Open PhD posts
- Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Intelligence [PhD Opportunities]
- Dr Kostas Kolomvatsos (University of Athens); 2010-2013.
- Dr Theodore Anagnostopoulos (University of Athens); 2009-2012.
- Farouk Tawfeek Ali, Abeer In-Network Placement of Security VNFs in Multi-Tenant Data Centers
- Sagkriotis, Stefanos NFV Orchestration & Management
- Alghamdi, Ibrahim Ahmed I
Adaptive-Collaborative Cloud Computing Resource Allocation System
- Cahsai, Atoshum
I260 - Employing Machine Learning Techniques to Expedite Complex Query Processing
- Harth, Natascha
Analytics Learning and Knowledge Mining for Big Data Exploration in IoT Environments
- Ma, Wei
Scalable Efficient Multi-System Complex-Query Data Analytics
- Savva, Fotis
Big Data Complex Query Analytics and Query Processing
Professional activities & recognition
- 2018 - 2020: Marie Sklodowska-Curie (EU/MSCA-IF) Fellowship Supervisor
- 2015 - present: Applied Intelligence (Springer)
- 2015 - present: International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks (SAGE)
- 2019 - present: Open Computer Science (De Gruyter)
- 2016 - 2017: SI: Machine Learning and Computational Intelligence for Big Data; Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics (Springer)
- 2017 - 2018: SI: Mobile Sensor Networks; Electronics (MDPI)
- 2019 - 2020: SI: Distributed Artificial & Machine Intelligence in Evolving Sensor Networks, Journal of Distributed sensor Networks
- 2019 - 2020: SI: Recent Advancement in Edge/Fog Computing for Intelligent IoT Applications, Sensors J
Programme Committee Member
- IEEE SMC International Workshop on Pervasive Intelligent Systems PIS 2017--2020
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering; Intl Workshop of Data-Driven Smart Cities IEEE DASC/ICDE 2019--2020
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications IEEE INFOCOM 2019
- IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference IEEE CCNC 2019
- Wireless Days 2019 (IEEE WD'19)
- IEEE/SAI Future Technologies Conference SAI FTC 2017--2020
- IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud IEEE FiCloud 2018
- IEEE Future Technology Conference IEEE FTC 2018
- IEEE Intelligent Systems Conference (IEEE IntelliSys 2015--2020)
- IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (IEEE CCNC 2018)
- IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things (IEEE FiCloud 2017)
- IEEE International Workshop on Information and Knowledge in the Internet of Things (IEEE IKIT 2017)
- IEEE SMC International Workshop on Pervasive Information Systems (WorldCIST 2017 -- 2019)
- 7th International Conference on Current and Future Trends of Information and Communication Technologies in Healthcare (ICTH 2017)
- IEEE International Conference on Big Data 2015; Session Chair: Data mining and learning (IEEE BigData 2015)
- IEEE International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications; Session Chair: Making Sense from Large-scale Data Streams (IEEE IISA 2016)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE 2016, KEYS 2016)
- International Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Cloud Computing (ALGOCLOUD 2015--2016)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Management Technologies and Applications (DATA 2016--2020)
- Workshop on Recent Advances in Behaviour Prediction and Pro-active Pervasive Computing (AwareCast-Pervasive 2012--2015);
- International Workshop on Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP 2012--2015)
- IEEE Panhellenic Conference on Informatics (PCI 2014--2020)
- International Workshop on Semantic Web for Services and Processes; Session Chair (SWSP07);
- International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR 2007);
Reviewer Board Member
- ACM Transactions Journals: ACM Transactions on Data Science (ACM TDS), ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (ACM TIST); IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ACM/IEEE TON); ACM Transactions on Wireless Sensor Networks (ACM TOSN).
- IEEE Transactions Journals: IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (IEEE TEC); IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC); IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (IEEE TPDS); IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (IEEE JSAC); IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE); Proceedings of the IEEE; IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (IEEE TITS); IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (IEEE TVT); IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems (IEEE TFS); IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (IEEE TNNLS).
- Elsevier Journals: Journal of Parallel and Distributed Systems (JPDC); Journal of Pervasive and Mobile Computing (PMC); Journal of Systems and Software (JSS); Information Sciences (IS); Applied Mathematical Modelling (AMM); Computer Networks (COMNET); Computer Communications (COMCOM).
- Springer Journals: Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA); Wireless Networks (WiNet); International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics (IJMLC); Applied Intelligence (APIN); Journal of Network and Systems Management (JNSM).
- Oxford University Press: The Computer Journal.