Dr Christos Anagnostopoulos
- Lecturer in Distributed & Pervasive Computing (Computing Science)
Dr Christos Anagnostopoulos is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Distributed and Pervasive Computing in the School of Computing Science at the University of Glasgow. His expertise is in the areas of network-centric pervasive & adaptive systems and in-network information processing in large-scale distributed sensor/UxV/Edge networks. He has received funding for his research by the EC/H2020 and the industry. Dr Anagnostopoulos is coordinating (Principal Investigator) the projects: EU H2020/GNFUV and EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSCA)/INNOVATE, and is a co-PI of the EU PRIMES and UK EPSRC CLDS. Dr Anagnostopoulos is an author of over 130 refereed scientific journals/conferences [scholar], [dblp]. He is founding director of the Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Intelligence within the Information, Data, and Analysis (IDA), affiliated with the Networked Systems Research (NETLAB), and associate member of the Glasgow Systems Section (GLASS) at Glasgow. Dr Anagnostopoulos before joining Glasgow was an Assistant Professor at Ionian University and Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Athens and University of Thessaly. He has held postdoctoral positions at University of Glasgow and University of Athens in the areas of in-network context-aware distirbuted & mobile computing systems. He holds a BSc, MSc, and PhD in Computing Science, University of Athens. He is an associate fellow of the HEA, member of ACM and IEEE.
Christos' interests and contributions are in network-centric pervasive & adaptive systems and in-network processing in large-scale sensor/UxV/Edge networks. Throughout his career, Christos has been conducting research in distributed algorithms for machine learning and stochastic optimization, epidemical-based information and knowledge diffusion in DTNs, mobile computing environments, and inferential analytics at the network Edge. Currently, Christos has established analytical models & algorithms for in-network and decentralized data processing focusing on edge-centric models (visit: Essence for all the research topics). Christos has published extensively in top journals, ACM/IEEE Transactions, and conferences in the above areas and his research has been funded by EU and EPSRC research grants. He is member of the ACM and IEEE.
Funded Research Projects
[*] EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IF (MSCA): Intelligent Applications over Large Scale Data Streams (INNOVATE); 2018-2020.
PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Abstract: INNOVATE proposes novel methodologies and solutions adopting a pool of computational intelligence schemes and ensemble learning models for fusing local pieces of knowledge in a timely and efficient way. Distributed stochastic optimization techniques will be developed to provide efficient solutions that can support large-scale data steam-based predictive analytics.
[*] EU H2020 FIRE+: Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV) 2018-2019.
PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Abstract: Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV) is an extension of the Glasgow Network Functions (GNF) framework that operates over UxV infrastructures being particularly well-suited for operating over resourced-constrained and mobile Internet of Things (IoT) environments. GNFUV aims to showcase the capabilities of UxVs as hosting platforms for (virtualised) tasks, ranging from always-on monitoring and network topology self-management, to in-network, contextual information processing algorithms for edge-computing predictive analytics.
[*] UK EPSRC: Closed-Loop Data Science for Complex, Computationally- and Data-Intensive Analytics (CLDS) 2018-2022
co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Abstract: Progress in sensing, computational power, storage and analytic tools has given us access to enormous amounts of complex data, which can inform us of better ways to manage our cities, run our companies or develop new medicines. However, the 'elephant in the room' is that when we act on that data we change the world, potentially invalidating the older data. In this project we will look at the overlap between the challenge someone faces when coping with all the choices associated with booking a flight for a weekend away, and an expert running complex experiments in a laboratory.
[*] EU Erasmus+ KA2: Personalised Recommendations and Internationalisation for MOOCs in European Schools (PRIMES), 2016-2019.
co-PI: Dr C Anagnostopoulos
Abstract: PRIMES aims to produce a novel e-learning platform, combining the wide reach and popularity of MOOCs with advanced artificial intelligence and data summarisation algorithms, to provide a truly personalised learning experience, fitted to the needs and characteristics of teenager (secondary school) students. PRIMES will further include pilot science, ICT and history courses, to be used, evaluated, and improved by students and teachers in the partnered schools.
Research Groups: Within the School of Computing Science, Dr Anagnostopoulos is leading the Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Intelligence Research Team affiliated with the Information, Data, and Analysis (IDA) and the Networked Systems Research (NETLAB) and is an associate member of the Glasgow Systems Section (GLASS). He is a scientific collaborator of the Pervasive Computing Research Group (P-COMP ), University of Athens.
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) Intelligent trajectory classification for improved movement prediction. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 44(10), pp. 1301-1314. (doi:10.1109/TSMC.2014.2316742)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Georgas, P. (2012) PC3: principal component-based context compression. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 72(2), pp. 155-170. (doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2011.10.001)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) Advanced principal component-based compression schemes for wireless sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 11(1), 7. (doi:10.1145/2629330)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2008) Enhancing situation-aware systems through imprecise reasoning. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 7(10), pp. 1153-1168. (doi:10.1109/TMC.2008.34)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Zervas, E. (2011) Information dissemination between mobile nodes for collaborative context awareness. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 10(12), pp. 1710-1725. (doi:10.1109/TMC.2011.19)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Zervas, E. (2011) An analytical model for multi-epidemic information dissemination. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 71(1), pp. 87-104. (doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2010.08.010)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Ntarladimas, Y. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2007) Situational computing: an innovative architecture with imprecise reasoning. Journal of Systems and Software, 80(12), pp. 1993-2014. (doi:10.1016/j.jss.2007.03.003)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) Determining the optimal stopping time for automated negotiations. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 44(7), pp. 908-921. (doi:10.1109/TSMC.2013.2279665)
Anagnostopoulos, C. (2014) Time-optimized contextual information forwarding in mobile sensor networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 74(5), pp. 2317-2332. (doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2014.01.008)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2017) Query-driven learning for predictive analytics of data subspace cardinality. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 11(4), 47. (doi:10.1145/3059177)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2012) A fuzzy logic system for bargaining in information markets. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, 3(2), pp. 1-26. (doi:10.1145/2089094.2089108)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2010) Advanced fuzzy inference engines in situation aware computing. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 161(4), pp. 498-521. (doi:10.1016/j.fss.2009.09.022)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2017) Efficient Scalable Accurate Regression Queries in In-DBMS Analytics. In: IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), San Diego, CA, USA, 19-22 Apr 2017, (doi:10.1109/ICDE.2017.111)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2015) Learning set cardinality in distance nearest neighbours. In: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (IEEE ICDM 2015), Atlantic City, NJ, USA, 14-17 Nov 2015, pp. 691-696. ISBN 9781467395038 (doi:10.1109/ICDM.2015.17)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2011) Delay-tolerant delivery of quality information in ad hoc networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 71(7), pp. 974-987. (doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2010.11.007)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Kolomvatsos, K. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2015) Time-optimised user grouping in location based services. Computer Networks, 81, pp. 220-244. (doi:10.1016/j.comnet.2015.02.017)
Anagnostopoulos, C. , Hadjiefthymiades, S. and Kolomvatsos, K. (2016) Accurate, dynamic, and distributed localization of phenomena for mobile sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 12(2), 9. (doi:10.1145/2882966)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2013) Multivariate context collection in mobile sensor networks. Computer Networks, 57(6), pp. 1394-1407. (doi:10.1016/j.comnet.2013.01.001)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2012) Optimal, quality-aware scheduling of data consumption in mobile ad hoc networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 72(10), pp. 1269-1279. (doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2012.05.011)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, P. (2014) Scaling out Big Data Missing Value Imputations: Pythia vs. Godzilla. In: 20th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD '14), New York, N.Y., U.S.A, 24-27 Aug 2014, pp. 651-660. ISBN 9781450329569 (doi:10.1145/2623330.2623615)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2016) Distributed localized contextual event reasoning under uncertainty. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 4(1), pp. 183-191. (doi:10.1109/JIOT.2016.2638119)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2017) Data fusion and type-2 fuzzy inference in contextual data stream monitoring. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 47(8), pp. 1839-1853. (doi:10.1109/TSMC.2016.2560533)
Kolomvatsos, K., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2014) An efficient recommendation system based on the optimal stopping theory. Expert Systems with Applications, 41(15), pp. 6796-6806. (doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2014.04.039)
Cziva, R., Anagnostopoulos, C. and Pezaros, D. P. (2018) Dynamic, Latency-Optimal vNF Placement at the Network Edge. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2018), Honolulu, HI, USA, 15-19 Apr 2018, pp. 693-701. ISBN 9781538641286 (doi:10.1109/INFOCOM.2018.8486021)
Anagnostopoulos, C. and Hadjiefthymiades, S. (2009) Advanced inference in situation-aware computing. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Part A: Systems and Humans, 39(5), pp. 1108-1115. (doi:10.1109/TSMCA.2009.2025023)
Cahsai, A., Anagnostopoulos, C. , Ntarmos, N. and Triantafillou, P. (2017) Scaling k-Nearest Neighbors Queries (The Right Way). In: 2017 IEEE 37th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), Atlanta, GA, USA, 5-8 June 2017, pp. 1419-1430. ISBN 9781538617939 (doi:10.1109/ICDCS.2017.267)
- EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IF 2017 (MSCA): Intelligent Applications over Large Scale Data Streams (INNOVATE); 2018-2020; PI, £200K
- UK EPSRC: Closed-Loop Data Science for Complex, Computationally- and Data-Intensive Analytics (CLDS); 2018-2022; co-PI, £3M
- EU H2020 Future Internet Research and Experimentation (FIRE+): Glasgow Network Functions for Unmanned Vehicles (GNFUV); 2018-2019; PI, £100K
- EU Erasmus+ KA2: Personalised Recommendations and Internationalisation for MOOCs in European Schools (PRIMES), 2016-2019; co-PI, £414K
- Essence: Pervasive & Distributed Intelligence [PhD Opportunities]
- Dr Kostas Kolomvatsos (University of Athens); 2010-2013.
- Dr Theodore Anagnostopoulos (University of Athens); 2009-2012.
- Farouk Tawfeek Ali, Abeer In-Network Placement of Security VNFs in Multi-Tenant Data Centers
- Sagkriotis, Stefanos NFV Orchestration & Management
- Alghamdi, Ibrahim Ahmed I
Adaptive-Collaborative Cloud Computing Resource Allocation System
- Cahsai, Atoshum
I260 - Employing Machine Learning Techniques to Expedite Complex Query Processing
- Harth, Natascha
Analytics Learning and Knowledge Mining for Big Data Exploration in IoT Environments
- Ma, Wei
Scalable Efficient Multi-System Complex-Query Data Analytics
- Savva, Fotis
Big Data Complex Query Analytics and Query Processing
Open PhD posts
- Database Systems (H)
- Database Theory & Applications (M)
Professional activities & recognition
- 2018 - 2020: Marie Sklodowska-Curie (EU/MSCA-IF) Fellowship Supervisor
- 2015 - present: Applied Intelligence (Springer)
- 2015 - present: International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks (SAGE)
- 2016 - 2017: SI: Machine Learning and Computational Intelligence for Big Data; Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics (Springer)
- 2017 - 2018: SI: Mobile Sensor Networks; Electronics (MDPI)
Programme Committee Member
- 3rd International Workshop on Healthcare Interoperability and Pervasive Intelligent Systems HIPIS@ICTH 2018-2019
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering; Intl Workshop of Data-Driven Smart Cities IEEE DASC/ICDE 2019
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications IEEE INFOCOM 2019
- IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference IEEE CCNC 2019
- Wireless Days 2019 (IEEE WD'19)
- IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud IEEE FiCloud 2018
- IEEE Future Technology Conference IEEE FTC 2018
- IEEE Intelligent Systems Conference (IEEE IntelliSys 2015 -- 2019)
- IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (IEEE CCNC 2018)
- IEEE International Conference on Future Internet of Things (IEEE FiCloud 2017)
- IEEE International Workshop on Information and Knowledge in the Internet of Things (IEEE IKIT 2017)
- IEEE SMC International Workshop on Pervasive Information Systems (WorldCIST 2017 -- 2019)
- 7th International Conference on Current and Future Trends of Information and Communication Technologies in Healthcare (ICTH 2017)
- IEEE International Conference on Big Data 2015; Session Chair: Data mining and learning (IEEE BigData 2015)
- IEEE International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications; Session Chair: Making Sense from Large-scale Data Streams (IEEE IISA 2016)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE 2016, KEYS 2016)
- International Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Cloud Computing (ALGOCLOUD 2015 -- 2016)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Management Technologies and Applications (DATA 2016 -- 2019)
- Workshop on Recent Advances in Behaviour Prediction and Pro-active Pervasive Computing (AwareCast-Pervasive 2012--2015);
- International Workshop on Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP 2012--2015)
- IEEE Panhellenic Conference on Informatics (PCI 2014 -- 2019)
- International Workshop on Semantic Web for Services and Processes; Session Chair (SWSP07);
- International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR 2007);
Reviewer Board Member
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering; Proceedings of the IEEE; IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking; ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology; ACM Transactions on Wireless Sensor Networks; IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation; IEEE Transactions on intelligent Transportation Systems; IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing;IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems; IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology;IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications;IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems;IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems;Journal of Parallel and Distributed Systems (Elsevier);Journal of Pervasive and Mobile Computing (Elsevier);Journal of Systems and Software (Elsevier);Computer Networks (Elsevier);Computer Communications (Elsevier);Sensors (ISSN 1424-8220-MDPI);Journal of Internet Services and Applications (Springer);Wireless Networks (Springer)Applied Mathematical Modelling (Elsevier);International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics (Springer);Applied Intelligence Review (Springer);The Computer Journal (Oxford University Press)Journal of Network and Systems Management; IEEE INFOCOM.