Professor Klaas Wynne
- Chair in Chemical Physics (Chemistry)
telephone: (0141) 330 8522
The ultrafast chemical physics group is interested in the structure and dynamics of liquids and solutions. They study peptides, proteins, and other biomolecules but treats them as amorphous blobs behaving much like gels. They are especially interested in phase behaviour such as supercooling, folding transitions in peptides, nucleation of crystals from solution, and liquid-liquid and liquid-crystalline transitions. The experimental techniques applied cover 18-orders of magnitude of dynamic range: from the femtosecond motion of molecules (using ultrafast and terahertz spectroscopies) to the hour-long timescale of some phase transitions (using various forms of microscopy).
- F. Walton, K. Wynne, "Control over phase separation and nucleation using a laser-tweezing potential", Nature Chemistry online (2018) (http://doi.org/10.1038/s41557-018-0009-8)
- K. Wynne, "The Mayonnaise Effect", J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 8, 6189-6192 (2017). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b03207)
- G. Ramakrishnan, M. González-Jiménez, A.J. Lapthorn, and K. Wynne, "Spectrum of slow and super-slow (picosecond to nanosecond) water dynamics around organic and biological solutes", J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 8, 2964-2970 (2017). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b01127)
- J. Reichenbach, S.A. Ruddell, M. González-Jiménez, J. Lemes, D.A. Turton, D.J. France, and K. Wynne, "Phonon-like hydrogen-bond modes in protic ionic liquids", JACS 139, 7160-7163 (2017). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.7b03036)
- C.D. Syme, J. Mosses, M. González Jiménez, Finlay Walton, and K. Wynne, "Frustration of crystallisation by a liquid–crystal phase", Sci. Rep. 7, 42439 (2017). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep42439)
- M. González-Jiménez, G. Ramakrishnan, T. Harwood, A.J. Lapthorn, S.M. Kelly, E.M. Ellis, and K. Wynne, "Observation of coherent delocalised phonon-like modes in DNA under physiological conditions", Nature Commun., 7, 11799 (2016). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms11799)
- D.A. Turton, H.M. Senn, T. Harwood, A.J. Lapthorn, E.M. Ellis, and K. Wynne, "Terahertz underdamped vibrational motion governs protein-ligand binding in solution", Nature Commun. 5, 3999 (2014). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms4999)
Syme, C. D., Mosses, J., González-Jiménez, M., Shebanova, O., Walton, F. and Wynne, K. (2017) Frustration of crystallisation by a liquid–crystal phase. Scientific Reports, 7, 42439. (doi:10.1038/srep42439) (PMID:28209972) (PMCID:PMC5314399)
Ramakrishnan, G., González-Jiménez, M. , Lapthorn, A. J. and Wynne, K. (2017) Spectrum of slow and super-slow (picosecond to nanosecond) water dynamics around organic and biological solutes. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 8(13), pp. 2964-2970. (doi:10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b01127) (PMID:28612605)
Reichenbach, J., Ruddell, S. A., González-Jiménez, M. , Lemes, J., Turton, D. A., France, D. J. and Wynne, K. (2017) Phonon-like hydrogen-bond modes in protic ionic liquids. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139(21), pp. 7160-7163. (doi:10.1021/jacs.7b03036) (PMID:28511538)
González-Jiminéz, M. , Ramakrishnan, G., Harwood, T., Lapthorn, A. J., Kelly, S. M., Ellis, E. M. and Wynne, K. (2016) Observation of coherent delocalized phonon-like modes in DNA under physiological conditions. Nature Communications, 7, 11799. (doi:10.1038/ncomms11799) (PMID:27248361) (PMCID:PMC4895446)
Turton, D. A., Senn, H., Harwood, T., Lapthorn, A. J., Ellis, E. M. and Wynne, K. (2014) Terahertz underdamped vibrational motion governs protein-ligand binding in solution. Nature Communications, 5, p. 3999. (doi:10.1038/ncomms4999)
- 2017-2019 MRC MR/P025501/1, Development of a new tool for malaria mosquito surveillance to improve vector control, £664k, H. Ferguson, K. Wynne, H. Ranson, F. Okumu
- 2016-2019 EPSRC EP/N007417/1 Mapping and controlling nucleation £562k K. Wynne, D. France
- 2015-2016 EPSRC EP/N508792/1 A Dynamic Perspective on Biomolecular Function and Reactivity £14k K. Wynne, A. Lapthorn, B.O. Smith, N.T. Hunt, M. Fedorov
- 2013-2016, EPSRC EP/K034995/1, "Solvation dynamics and structure around proteins and peptides: collective network motions or weak interactions", £546k, K. Wynne, , A. Lapthorn, S. Kelly.
- 2012-2015, EPSRC EP/J00975X/1, EP/J009733/1, "The structure and dynamics of water confined in nanoscale pools: the dynamic crossover", £586k, K. Wynne, N. Hunt.
- 2012-2015, EPSRC EP/J004790, EP/J004812, EP/J014478, "Liquid–liquid transitions in molecular liquids: from supramolecular structure to phase separation", £634k, K. Wynne, J. Sefcik.
- 2013, RSC, Faraday Discussion Meeting "Mesostructure and dynamics in liquids and solutions", K. Wynne, A. Soper (RAL), A. Angel (Arizona State U.), K. Seddon (Queen's U.), S. Meech (UEA), H.E. Stanley (Boston U.).
- 2010, ISIS 1010269, A liquid-liquid transition in supercooled Gallium (3 days on SANDALS), K. Wynne, F. Demmel, W.S. Howells, D.A. Turton
- 2008-2013, EPSRC EP/F06926X, Two-dimensional terahertz–IR spectroscopy: a unique probe of ultrafast hydrogen-bond dynamics of liquid water and model systems, £623k, K. Wynne, J. Karolin, D.J.S. Birch
- 2007-2011, EPSRC EP/E046541, Terahertz spectroscopy of aqueous ionic solutions to understand the role of hydrogen-bond network breaking and strengthening in the Hofmeister series, £470k, K. Wynne, N.T Hunt
- 2006-2011, EPSRC EP/D062861/1, Nanometrology for Molecular Science, Medicine and Manufacture, £3118k, Birch, Pickup, Faulds, O’Donnell, Smith, Martin, Wynne, Dawson, Girkin, Graham, Gnudi, Rolinski
- 2006-2011, SFC, Nanometrology for Molecular Science, Medicine and Manufacture, £1150k, Birch, Pickup, Faulds, O’Donnell, Smith, Martin, Wynne, Dawson, Girkin, Graham, Gnudi, Rolinski
- 2004-2007, EPSRC GR/S95510, A comparison of the THz-frequency vibrational spectra of (chiral) liquids obtained through ultrafast infrared and Raman spectroscopies, £252k, K. Wynne
- 2004-2005, Wolfson Foundation, Nanometrology of colloidal particles, £449k, Birch, Wynne, Smith, Graham
- 2004-2009, Leverhulme Trust F/00273/E, Surface-enhanced ultrafast Kerr-effect spectroscopy of dynamics in biomolecules, £125k, K. Wynne, D.J.S. Birch
- 2004-2007, EPSRC GR/S75369, Understanding the structural and dynamic basis of kinetics in biomolecules using novel ultrafast Raman techniques, £330k, K. Wynne, D.J.S. Birch, W.E. Smith, D. Graham, J.O. Karolin
- 2004-2005, SHEFC SRIF, Materials preparation and characterisation equipment, and solid-state ultrafast laser sources (SHEFC, Science Research Investment Fund), £470k, Several investigators including D.J.S. Birch and K. Wynne
- 2003-2006, EPSRC GR/S48110 & GR/S48127, Single Molecule Sensing in Clinical Medicine (EPSRC Adventure Fund), £528k, Birch, Pickup, Smith, Wynne, Graham, Gnudi, Rolinski
- 2003-2006, EPSRC GR/R97566, Using electromagnetic pulses emitted by ultrafast molecular currents for studying charge-transfer reactions, £211k, K. Wynne, D.A. Jaroszynski
- 2002-2006, EPSRC GR/R88090, Basic technology: Developing laser-plasma accelerators and coherent radiation sources as tools for time-resolved studies, £4270k, Jaroszynski, Burnett, Cairns, Dangor, Gillespie, Wark, Bingham, Poole, Norreys, Wynne, Hooker, Krushelnick, Walmsley
- 1999-2001, EPSRC GR/M75600, Ultrafast electron-energy loss/gain spectroscopy (fs-EELS/EEGS), £78k, K. Wynne, D.A. Jaroszynski
- 1999-2002, SHEFC RDG, X-ray to infrared sources for Strathclyde Terahertz to Optical Pulse Source (TOPS), £570k, D.A. Jaroszynski, A.D.R. Phelps, K. Wynne
- 1999-2003, PRF 34344 - AC6, Chemical reaction control with high-power femtosecond electrical pulses, £40k, K. Wynne
- 1999-2002, EPSRC GR/M52090, Study of superradiance and short pulse propagation in an underdense plasma, £406k, D.A. Jaroszynski, A.D.R. Phelps, K. Wynne
- 1999-2003, RS A20172, Femtosecond field emitter, £10k, K. Wynne
- 1999-2002, SHEFC , Strathclyde Synchronised Electron and High Power Ultra-Short Terahertz to Optical Pulse Source (TOPS), £530k, D.A. Jaroszynski, A.D.R. Phelps, K. Wynne
- 1999-2002, EPSRC GR/M39312, The solvent response to chemical reactions, £190k, K. Wynne
- 1997-1999, EPSRC GR/L91627, T-Ray near-field imaging, £51k, K. Wynne
- 1997-1999, EPSRC GR/K88002, Temporal and spectral dynamics of phonons in crystals excited using subpicosecond optical pulses, £193k, T.P.J. Han, K. Wynne
- 1996-1997, Strathclyde, Ultrafast reaction dynamics in proteins, £20k, K. Wynne
- 1997-1999, EPSRC GR/K88972, Fluorescence dynamics in confined water: application to the structure of silica hydrogels, £198k, D.J.S. Birch, K. Wynne
Recent marks of esteem
2017 - Appointed Associate Editor JACS
2015 - Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)
2013 - Elected Member of Faraday Division Council
2012 - Elected member of the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Physical Chemistry B
2012 - Elected a member of the EPSRC college of peer reviewers
2012 - Elected member of the scientific advisory committee of the annual general meeting of the European Molecular Liquids Group and Japanese Molecular Liquids Group (Lille, France, 2013)
2012 - Invited with Mischa Bonn (Director MPI for Polymer Research) to organise session on biomolecular terahertz spectroscopy (SPIE Photonics West, BIOS, San Francisco, 2013).
2012 - PCCP 14, 6154 (2012) second most read PCCP article in April 2012.
2012 - Guest editor with Neil Hunt for special issue on Ultrafast Chemical Dynamics in PCCP published volume 14 issue 18, 2012.
2012 - The UCP 2011 meeting was the subject of a “news & views” article in the March 2012 issue of Nature Chemistry (doi:10.1038/nchem.1282)
2012 - Appointed visiting professor in the Department of Chemical and Process Engineering, University of Strathclyde
2012 - Elected member of the board of Chemical Physics (Elsevier)
2011 - Invited to organise a Faraday Discussion Meeting on “Mesostructure and dynamics in liquids and solutions” to be held in 2013
Recent professional activities
- Associate editor of the Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS) (2017-present).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Elsevier journal Chemical Physics (2012-present).
- Member of the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Physical Chemistry (2012-2015).
- Member appointment panel Tenured Lecturer position (Serra Hunter Programme) at the University of Barcelona (2016).
- Member of the Faraday Division council of the RSC (2013-2016).
- Member of the EPSRC college of peers (2012-present).
- Member of the committee of the ‘Liquids and Complex Fluids Group’ of the IoP (2011-2013).
- Co-organiser of the international conference on Time-Resolved Vibrational Spectroscopy (TRVS), 2017, UK.
- Organiser of a Faraday Discussion meeting 167 on ‘Mesostructure and dynamics in liquids and solutions’ (Bristol, September 2013).
- Member of the local organising committee of the SU2P Symposium (Glasgow, April 2013).
- Member of the scientific advisory committee of the annual general meeting of the European Molecular Liquids Group (EMLG) and Japanese Molecular Liquids Group (2012-2015).
- Organiser with Mischa Bonn (Director MPI for Polymer Research) of a session on Biomolecular Terahertz Spectroscopy (SPIE Photonics West, BIOS, San Francisco, 2013).
- Member of the local organising committee of the ‘European Conference of Crystal Growth’ ECCG4, Glasgow, June 2012.
- Chair for ‘Perspectives in Multidimensional Spectroscopy’ in honour of Prof Robin Hochstrasser, University of Pennsylvania, March 2011.
- Co-organiser of the ‘International workshop on ultrafast chemical physics 2011’, December 2011 in Glasgow. Organising committee: Neil Hunt (Strathclyde), Klaas Wynne (Glasgow), David Klug (Imperial), Helen Fielding (UCL), Steve Meech (UEA), and Julia Weinstein (Sheffield). The UCP 2011 meeting was the subject of a “news & views” article in the March 2012 issue of Nature Chemistry (doi:10.1038/nchem.1282).
- Member of the international organising committee of the international conference on Time-Resolved Vibrational Spectroscopy, TRVS (2009-present).
- Member programme committee for SPIE Photonics West (ultrafast phenomena in semiconductors and nanostructures), San Francisco, USA. (2009-2015)
- Visiting professor in the Department of Chemical and Process Engineering at Strathclyde (2012-2014).
- Guest editor with Neil Hunt for special issue on ‘Ultrafast chemical dynamics’ of PCCP published April 2012.