Dr Shammyla Naeem
- Senior Lecturer in Finance (Accounting & Finance)
Shammyla joined the University of Glasgow in August 2013. She holds a PhD in Finance from the University of Glasgow, sponsored by the prestigious University of Glasgow Postgraduate Scholarship and Overseas Research Student Awards Scheme (ORSAS). She has obtained two masters degrees, an MS (Research) and an MBA, with specialisation in finance, both with distinctions. She has been offered and awarded several national and international scholarships for pursuing higher education.
Prior to joining the University of Glasgow, Shammyla was a lecturer in finance at the National University of Ireland, Galway and has also worked as a lecturer in accounting and finance for approximately two years at Pakistani Universities. Her teaching interests at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels include corporate finance, international financial management, and other related areas.
Shammyla is a member of the Finance research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Empirical corporate finance
- Credit ratings
- Corporate governance
- Risk disclosure
- Islamic Finance
Current PhD students
- International Corporate Finance
- Introduction to Finance, Investments and Institutions
- Finance 1
Shammyla has also taught financial risk management, statistics for business, financial management and financial accounting in her previous positions.
Working papers/work in progress
- Credit Rating Changes of Peer Firms and Corporate Capital Structure with Chi-Hsiou D. Hung and K.C. John Wei
- Peer credit ratings and Investment decisions of firms
- Financial Management Association 2016
- European Financial Management Annual Meeting 2016
- Eastern Finance Association Annual Meeting 2016
- BAFA Scottish Area Group Annual Conference 2015
- 23rd Conference on Theories and Practices of Securities and Financial Markets 2015
- PGT convenor (Finance programmes)
- Learning & Teaching Committee
- School Ethics Review Panel (2013-2016)
- Level II coordinator (2014-2016)
- Deputy Assessment Officer (2015-2016)