Professor Robert Paton
- Professor of Management (Management)
Robert Paton is Professor of Management and Director of Development at the Adam Smith Business School and Deputy Dean Graduate Studies with the College of Social Sciences, as well as Alternate Cluster Lead in Services and Operations Management.
He researches, publishes and lectures in the fields of change, service innovation and co-created value (in business and supply chain networks). Of particular interest is the promotion of meaningful and sustainable service transactions within a partnership setting. Publishing in journals such as:
- Information Technology
- International Journal of Human Resource Management
- International Journal of Operations Management
- European Management Journal
- Knowledge Management
- Long Range Planning
The successful text Managing Change: a guide to effective implementation was originally co-authored by Professor Paton and James McCalman.
Professor Paton is a member of the Services and Operations Management research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Managing change
- Service innovation
- Service dominant logic
- Co-created value
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership No 9628, Scottish Water, 2014, Award £240K.
- First Step Award, Scottish Water, 2013, £5K.
- Scottish Funding Council, Creating Cultures of Innovation, 2012, Award £500K.
- First Step Award, Heart of Scotstoun, Social enterprise project, 2010, Award £5K.
- IBM International Faculty Award, Service Maturity Model, 2009, Award £15.63K.
- First Step Award, Thistle Help Ltd, Business Growth Project, 2009, Award £5K.
- IBM International Faculty Award, Services Science, 2008, Award £20K.
- The Hudson scholarship in international enterprise, 2006, Award £50K.
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership No 1230, Hunslet-Barclay Limited, 2005, Award £172K.
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership No. 4179, City Gate Solutions, Business Growth and Product Development, 2002, Award £75K.
- Teaching Company Scheme No. 3752, Lorne Fisheries, Business Growth and Transformation, 2002, Award £70K.
- World Class SME’s Programme, Glasgow Development Agency, 1997, Award £2.5K.
- Developing Competence Based Awards, Pick-Up Grant, 1995, Award £23K.
- Competence Based Management Awards in Higher Education, Scottish Enterprise, 1993 - 1995, Award £250K.
- Glasgow Management Development Initiative, Glasgow Opportunities, 1991, Award £150K.
PhD supervision areas
Professor Paton is interested in supervising PhD researchers in the fields of services innovation and change. Of particular interest would be projects linked to the concept of service dominant logics - the co-creation of value at the point of knowledge exchange.
Current PhD students
- Managing innovative change (MSc)
- Managing change (MBA)
Recent professional engagement
- Executive Board member - European Management Journal
- Reviewer for and/or editorial board member for the Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems (VINE) and the Journal of Services Science
- Academic Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Professional Development
- External MBA examiner at Newcastle University and Nottingham Trent University
- External quality enhancement reviewer Glasgow Caledonian University
- External doctoral examiner Lincoln University, Portsmouth University and University of the West of Scotland
- Executive and continuous professional development workshop with MARHA, Ministry of Education and Institute of Accounting all in Malaysia
- MBA sessions with Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Staff development and accreditation workshops with University sans Malaysia and the University of Malaya