Dr Lilach Sheiner
- Senior Lecturer and Royal Society of Edinburgh Personal Research Fellow (Parasitology)
telephone: +44 (0) 141 330 4797
Dr Sheiner has 14 years of molecular and cellular research experience focusing on fundamental cellular biology, focusing on eukaryotic parasites, mainly using T. gondii as a model organism. She put together one of the most widely used genetic manipulation systems for conditional gene depletion in Toxoplasma1 and made substantial contribution to the understanding of plastids2 and mitochondria3-4 biology.
Apicomplexa parasites (casing e.g. toxoplasmosis and malaria) are single-cell eukaryotes that evolved from free-living algae into global killers.
Having acquired a mitochondrion, then a plastid, and then turning parasitic, these cells display a remarkable collection of globally conserved alongside parasite unique cellular structures and functions. Dr. Sheiner’s asks how these parasites manage their plastid and mitochondrion while following three major themes:
1. Are tRNA molecules transported into and out of the parasite mitochondrion?
2. How unique mitochondrial morphologies serve parasite specialized needs?
3. How is apicoplast proteins import controlled? What is the role of redox?
Lab members: Julie Aufauvre (postdoc), Jana Ovciarikova (lab manager), Jack Major (technician), Alice Lacombe (PhD student), Shahar Bracha (Shared PhD Student), Carmen Melatti (Shared PhD student).
Lab website for more:http://lilachsheiner.wix.com/sheinerlab-wtcmp
Selected recent publications:
Ovciarikova et al; Sci. Rep. 2017 Feb 16;7:42746. doi: 10.1038/srep42746
Sheiner et al; Traffic. 2015 Sep 18. doi: 10.1111/tra.12333.
Sheiner et al; PLoS Pathogens. 2011 Dec;7(12):e1002392.
MacRae and Sheiner et al; Cell Host Microbe. 2012 Nov 15;12(5):682-92
Sheiner et al; Curr Opin Microbiol. 2013 Aug;16(4):452-8.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Dissection of the unusual mitochondrial tRNA import translocon of Toxoplasma gondii
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
2016 - 2018
- Dance with me? Mechanisms controlling mitochondrion - cell-cycle synchrony in Toxoplasma gondii
The Royal Society of Edinburgh
2015 - 2020
- Identification and analysis of essential proteins involved in Toxoplasma gondii mitochondrial tRNA import (ISSF Fellowship)
2015 - 2015
- Identification and analysis of essential proteins involved in Toxoplasma gondii mitochondrial biogenesis (ISSF Catalyst)
2014 - 2014
Invited International Presentations
- 2017: Caxambu, Brazil - Brazilian Protozoology Society Annual meeting. Invited Speaker and Panel Member for Round Table about Genome Editing in Parasitic Protozoa.
- 2017: Glasgow, Scotland - University of Strathclyde. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2017: Beer-Sheva, Israel - Ben Gurion University. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2016: Montpellier, France - Université de Montpellier. Invited international speaker
- 2016: Canterbury, UK - University of Kent, School of Biosciences seminar series. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2016: Tuebingen, Germany - Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology and Friedrich Miescher Laboratory International PhD Program annual retreat. Invited Keynote speaker.
- 2016: Cambridge, UK - Cambridge Parasitology Club seminar series. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2015: London, UK - The Francis Crick Institute (NIMR). Invited seminar speaker.
- 2015: Edinburgh,UK - The University of Edinburgh, Institute of Immunology and Infection Seminar series. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2015: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Fiocruz, Instituto Oswaldo Cruiz. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2015: Curitiba, Brazil. - Fiocruz Institututo Carlos Chagas. Invited seminar.
- 2015: Birmingham, UK - SGM Annual Conference 2015, “Mitochondria and related organelles in microbial eukaryotes” session. Invited speaker.
- 2015: Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic. - University of South Bohemia, Institute of parasitology. Invited seminar speaker.
- 2013: Pennsylvania, USA - University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine. Invited lecture.
- 2012: Jerusalem, Israel - Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Medicine. Invited lecture.
- 2012: Glasgow, UK - Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow. Invited lecture.
- 2011: Tel Aviv, Israel - Tel-Aviv University, Faculty of Medicine. Invited lecture.
Prizes, Awards and Distinctions
- 2016: Founder and Director, Middle Eastern Biology of Parasitism http://www.middle-eastbop.com/
- 2013: Athens, Georgia, USA - NIH pathways to independence
- 2008: Geneva, Switzerland - Swiss Society of Microbiology stipend
- 2013 - 2013: Glasgow, Scotland - Lord Kelvin Adam Smith (LKAS) Leadership Fellowship
- 2010 - 2010: Athens, Georgia, USA - Swiss National Fund "recherche debutant" fellowship
- 2009 - 2009: Athens, Georgia, USA - Swiss National Fund "recherche debutant" fellowship
- 2008 - 2008: Geneva, Switzerland - MBL Pioneer Scholarship Fund and the Herbert W. Rand Fellowship and Scholarship Fund
- 2003 - 2003: Bern, Switzerland - EMBO Short Fellowship 2003