Key Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Institute
- Responsibility for health and safety of staff, students and visitors in all areas under their control.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and application of university safety policy.
Line Managers and Principle Investigators
- Day to day management of safety responsibility.
- Approve all COSHH and Risk Assessments
- Implement local health and safety policy and arrangements
- Ensure all new/existing equipment is checked for hazards and users are trained.
Health and Safety Committee
- Acts on observations and problems of health and safety within the institute.
- Ensure appropriate risk assessments are in place.
GM Safety Committee
- Approve GM risk assessments.
- Ensure safe practices and appropriate control measures are agreed before work commences.
- Creating and maintaining the health and safety management systems for the institute and buildings.
- Set up building and communal safe working inspection schemes.
- Support and advice groups on safety issues.
- Ensure accidents and incidents are reported to SEPS in a prompt manner.
Safety Advisors (Biological, Chemical and Radiation)
- Specialised safety contact to advise staff and students in the institute on matters concerning that area of safety.
- Able to offer advice on their subject areas risk assessments, procedures and any containment levels required.
GM Safety Advisor
GM Safety Advisor
- To advise on GM safety matters regarding procedures.
- Ensure PIs are kept informed of changes to GM safety regulations or HSE guidelines.
- Read and sign all COSHH and Risk Assessments prior to commencing work
- Comply fully with safety requirements and control measures
- Be familiar with relevant emergency procedures
- Inform line manager, PI or local safety co-ordinator of any work situation that might present serious of imminent danger to health and safety
- Students are not in the legal sense employed persons.
- Must comply with health and safety instructions
- Not to misuse or damage equipment provided
- May be responsible for the consequences should they neglect to carry out a task required for the health and safety of others
Visitors, Honorary or Affiliates status works
Expected to comply with safety procedures in the same manner as staff.