Help for Members - Covid- 19 Welfare Fund

There for You is UNISON’s unique charity, set up to help members in difficulties – and this year, the COVID-19 crisis is making life harder for many of our already-stretched members.

The welfare charity has set up a special fund to respond to calls for help because of the pandemic, with £250,000 set aside for members in need. Our members can only apply for a grant if they know about it so please share as widely as you can.

Watch and share our film on the fund on Twitter

Watch and share our film on the fund on Facebook

Find out more about the fund and how members can apply


The UK Government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is coming to the University of Glasgow.

You may have heard of the Government’s plan to help all UK employers continue to pay their staff through the ‘Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’ CJRS). This scheme has been established to provide Government support with wage costs at a time when, for many roles, work is unavailable. The scheme involves organisations “furloughing” appropriate employees and in turn the Government will reimburse 80% of furloughed staff wage costs up to a cap of £2,500 per month. Whilst any Government reimbursement is capped at 80% of wages, the University has fully committed to maintaining full and normal pay (including pension contributions) for individuals on any period of furlough leave.
Work on implementing the CJSR in the University is ongoing and information on how it might affect you is available on the University Website at:

This includes a General Message about the CJRS, details of the policy and very useful FAQs.

Please read the information on the scheme and be reassured that there will be no detriment to anyone who is furloughed, your full salary will be paid, you NI and pension payment will continued to be paid in full.

Please also keep up to date with the latest news and advice on protecting your health and well-being whilst working remotely which is available on MyGlasgow at:

Stay safe, and stay well, and please enjoy a Happy Easter break!


School Uniform Grant 2019

Get help with school uniform costs this summer.

Struggling to make ends meet? Worried about back to school costs? Help is on hand

We have set up a limited fund to help UNISON members on low income with school uniform costs

by way of a one-off payment of up to £120.To apply, download the application form from

or contact

UNISONDirect on 0800 0 857 857.

Closing date for receipt of applications is

Friday 19 July 2019.


Keep up to date:

Links to national Unison site

 Tweets by Unison Scotland @unisonscot