English, Welsh and Northern Irish students

The tuition fee you pay will vary depending on your fee status and your programme. Tuition fees are detailed in the table below.

For many applicants, your fee status is the same as your current country of residence. However, not all cases are this straightforward. We use the information you provide on your application to determine your fee status, and will confirm this with you after you submit your application.

"I am a UK citizen and my home is in England (or Northern Ireland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man) and I am studying in Scotland."

If the above statement applies to you then you will probably be classified as Rest of UK for fee purposes. RUK students are UK citizens who have been resident in the UK (outside Scotland) for at least three years before the start of their programme of study.

Tuition fees for RUK students are £9,250 per year for three years of a four year Honours degree. This means you will only pay a maximum of £27,750. For exceptions, please see below. 

Applying for student finance

If you normally live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and are studying anywhere in the UK, you should apply for student finance to the relevant regional authority.

They will assess your eligibility for:

  • A tuition fee loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees, and
  • Your entitlement to a living cost/maintenance loan, or
  • In some circumstances a non-repayable maintenance grant.

The Student Loans Company pays out tuition fee loans to the University on your behalf.

How to apply

Apply to the relevant regional authority:

Submit your application as soon as possible so that you will know:

  • If you will be liable to pay your tuition fees, and
  • What living cost/maintenance support you can receive before you register for your programme of study at the beginning of the academic year.

Application deadlines

You must apply to your funding body for support before the start of each subsequent year of your programme of study.

If you do not apply for a tuition fee loan or you are assessed as ineligible for support then you will become personally liable for your tuition fees.

You have applied. What's next?

  • After you have completed your application, you will receive an SLC Student Support Number.
  • Please keep a note of this number as you will need to know it to complete financial registration in MyCampus.
  • Your funding body will send you an award letter which will confirm how much they will pay towards your tuition fees and your entitlement to maintenance support.