Acceptable Use Policy
Acceptable Use Policy
The University network is connected to JANET and therefore all its users must abide by the JANET Acceptable Use Policy (April 1995). The most relevant parts of this policy are set out below. A full statement of this policy is available on the: UKERNA web site.
Subject to the following paragraphs, JANET may be used for any legal activity that is in furtherance of the aims and policies of the User Organisation.
JANET may not be used for any of the following:
- The creation or transmission (other than for properly supervised and lawful research purposes) of any offensive, obscene or indecent images, data or other material, or any data capable of being resolved into obscene or indecent images or material.
- The creation or transmission of material which is designed or likely to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- The creation or transmission of defamatory material.
- The transmission of material such that this infringes the copyright of another person.
- The transmission of unsolicited commercial or advertising material either to other User Organisations, or to organisations connected to other networks.
- Deliberate unauthorised access to facilities or services accessible via JANET.
- Deliberate activities with any of the following characteristics:
- Wasting staff effort or networked resources, including time on end systems accessible via JANET and the effort of staff involved in the support of those systems;
- Corrupting or destroying other users' data; violating the privacy of other users;
- Disrupting the work of other users;
- Using JANET in a way that denies service to other users (for example, deliberate or reckless overloading of access links or of switching equipment);
- Continuing to use an item of networking software or hardware after UKERNA has requested that use cease because it is causing disruption to the correct functioning of JANET.
- Other misuse of JANET or networked resources, such as the introduction of "viruses".
- Where JANET is being used to access another network, any abuse of the acceptable use policy of that network will be regarded as unacceptable use of JANET.
All departments should adopt and publicise this policy. This does not prevent departments from adding to the policy or imposing additional rules relevant to use of their own facilities.
Users and departments must also abide by the Regulations and Code of Conduct for the Use of Information Technology Facilities in the University of Glasgow.