The University of Glasgow was established for the benefit of the city and its people, and our staff and students have helped to shape the economic, social and cultural prosperity of the region.
Our substantial impact is felt locally, nationally and globally.
- We are a major employer in the region and our expenditure supports many jobs across a range of sectors within Scotland and the UK, contributing substantially to regional economic development.
- 84% of our UK students are from Scotland, and we also welcome students from more than 140 different countries.
- Our international student population has more than doubled in the past ten years.
- Our internationally excellent research contributes to enhancing the prosperity and wellbeing of our city’s citizens, and we also influence national and international policy, working with partners worldwide to tackle some of the grand challenges of our age.
- We contribute £4.4 billion of economic impact to the UK.
- For every £1 million we spend, a further £5.8 million of impact is generated across the UK economy.
- We directly employ over 8,000 people (equivalent to 6,280 FTE) and support an additional 14,350 FTE in the UK, 10,950 of which are in Scotland.
- Our economic impact increased by 14% in the three years to 2018–19.