Criteria for awarding expenses relating to a complaint or an appeal
The Director of the Senate Office shall approve a claim for expenses relating to a complaint or an appeal on the basis of the following criteria:
- The complaint or appeal was upheld in whole or in part.
- The expenses were necessarily incurred by the complainant/appellant in pursuit of the complaint or appeal. The cost of obtaining legal advice is not considered a necessary expense and will not be covered.
- Expenses relating to travel or accommodation are at the lowest rate available to the complainant/appellant taking account of the circumstances of the complaint/appeal.
- The expenses are reasonable and proportionate.
- The claim for expenses is submitted on the Complainant/Appellant Expenses Claim Form to the Director of the Senate Office within 20 working days of the date of the letter detailing the outcome of the complaint or appeal.
- The claim for expenses is supported by receipts and is signed and dated by the claimant.