Standardisation of Student Absence Policy
Students must complete a MyCampus absence report for any significant absence from the University. Supporting documentary evidence will be required and should be scanned electronically and linked to the MyCampus absence report.
- The Student Absence Policy applies to all undergraduate and postgraduate taught students and defines a significant absence as an absence of more than seven consecutive days during semester time or one which prevents a student from attending an examination or fulfilling any other requirement for the award of credit.
- Students must complete a MyCampus absence report for any significant absence and are recommended to complete an absence report for any absence for which they would like the University to take account.
- All potentially significant absences should be reported as soon as is practical in part 1 of the MyCampus absence report; Part 2 should be completed on return to University.
- The normal submission deadline for the completed absence report is 7 days after return to University and Boards of Examiners will not necessarily take account of absences reported after this deadline.
- If at all possible, absences which will result in non-attendance at examinations should be notified before the examination by contacting the relevant School, and followed up by completion of part 1 of the MyCampus absence report.
- Documentary evidence is required for any significant absence and the Absence Policy includes a schedule of circumstances in which medical evidence is required.
- The Absence Policy includes a statement of how Schools should respond to a notification of absence.
Students, and staff engaged in recording, or accessing records of, student absence.
Date effective: Session 2008-09
Recommended by: Student Support & Development Committee, May 2008
Ratified by: Senate, 5 June 2008
Minor amendments noted by: Senate, 30 April 2009
Minor amendments approved by: Student Support & Development Committee, 5 November 2010
Minor amendments approved by: Student Support & Development Committee, 13 January 2012