Standardisation of Student Absence Policy
Students must complete a MyCampus absence report for any significant absence from the University. Supporting documentary evidence will be required and should be scanned electronically and linked to the MyCampus absence report.
Policy and Guidelines
- The Student Absence Policy applies to all undergraduate and postgraduate taught students and defines a significant absence as an absence of more than seven consecutive days during semester time or one which prevents a student from attending an examination or fulfilling any other requirement for the award of credit.
- Students must complete a MyCampus absence report for any significant absence and are recommended to complete an absence report for any absence for which they would like the University to take account.
- All potentially significant absences should be reported as soon as is practical in part 1 of the MyCampus absence report; Part 2 should be completed on return to University.
- The normal submission deadline for the completed absence report is 7 days after return to University and Boards of Examiners will not necessarily take account of absences reported after this deadline.
- If at all possible, absences which will result in non-attendance at examinations should be notified before the examination by contacting the relevant School, and followed up by completion of part 1 of the MyCampus absence report.
- Documentary evidence is required for any significant absence and the Absence Policy includes a schedule of circumstances in which medical evidence is required.
- The Absence Policy includes a statement of how Schools should respond to a notification of absence.
For the Attention of
Students, and staff engaged in recording, or accessing records of, student absence.
Approval and Amendments
Date effective: Session 2008-09
Recommended by: Student Support & Development Committee, May 2008
Ratified by: Senate, 5 June 2008
Minor amendments noted by: Senate, 30 April 2009
Minor amendments approved by: Student Support & Development Committee, 5 November 2010
Minor amendments approved by: Student Support & Development Committee, 13 January 2012