Learning & Teaching Conference 2016
Message from Professor Frank N. Coton
Vice-Principal (Academic and Educational Innovation)
I am pleased to share further details of the 9th Annual University of Glasgow Learning and Teaching conference, which will take place on Tuesday 12th April 2016.
The Conference is open to all members of the University community with an interest in learning and teaching and, once again, to a number of external contributors and participants.
The Conference is entitled 'Active student participation in learning, teaching and assessment' and will provide an opportunity to explore active student participation and the enhancement of learning and teaching experiences for both students and staff focusing on the following sub themes:
- Assessment and feedback
- Learning with technology
- Developing graduate attributes
- Designing the curriculum
Call for abstracts:
The Conference will comprise a mixture of presentations (30 minutes – 20 mins talk and 10 mins questions), interactive workshops (60 minutes) and posters; I invite you, therefore, to submit abstracts (max 300 words) using the online tool at: http://learn.gla.ac.uk/abstracts/
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- The proposal aligns with the title and themes of the Conference;
- The work is sufficiently accessible and interesting to a wide audience;
- The proposal links to the University's Learning and Teaching Strategy [not for external contributions];
- The work can be clearly and effectively presented in the allocated time or represented in an A0 portrait poster;
- The authors of this work have thought about how they will engage participants;
- The outcomes proposed in the presentation/workshop/poster can be readily achieved
Please submit your abstracts by Friday 6th November 2015. We will inform those submitting abstracts of the outcome of the reviewing process in the week beginning 14th December 2015. As with previous Conferences, successful abstracts will be published in the Proceedings booklet and online formats.
I am delighted to confirm our Keynote speakers for the day: Professor Peter Felten, Elon University and Dr Tansy Jessop, University of Winchester.
Registration will open early in the New Year, when the full programme will be announced. Full details will also be published at Learning and Teaching Conference.
Building on the success of the 2015 Conference, I look forward to your participation in what I am sure will prove to be once again, a lively and engaging event.
Professor Frank N. Coton
First published: 3 November 2015