UK Official Publications Collections - holdings
The collection, which includes the publications of the Westminster Parliament and UK government departments, dates from the late 18th century to the present day and includes Command Papers, House of Commons Papers, House of Commons Bills, House of Lords Papers & Bills, the Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) and the Acts of Parliament.
The term ‘Parliamentary Papers’ covers a range of publications produced by Parliament. The following list provides a breakdown, by category. These publications are held on Level 7 of the University Library, unless otherwise stated.
- Acts, Public and General: 1225 –
- Acts, Local and Personal: 1815 - (please note that pre 1980 Acts are located in the Library Research Annexe)
- Acts of Parliament of Scotland: 1124-1707 (please note: these are held on Level 8)
- Bills (House of Commons) : 1715-1901; 1967/68-
- Bills (House of Lords): 1967/8- (imperfect after 1979/80) Please note: House of Lords Papers and Bills prior to 1989/90 are located in the Library Research Annexe)
- Command Papers: 1833 -
- House of Commons Papers: 1715 -
- House of Lords Papers: 1822 - (imperfect after 1979/80) House of Lords Papers and Bills prior to 1989/90 are located in the Library Research Annexe)
- Journal of the House of Commons: 1547 -
- Journal of the House of Lords: 1513 -
- Parliamentary Debates (Hansard): 1066 -
- Royal Commissions: All reports (Command Papers)
- Census of Great Britain: 1801 - (please note these are shelved in the Statistics Collection on Level 7)
- Statutory Instruments:1948 -
- Treaty Series: 1892 - (please note these are shelved in the Law Reports sequence on Level 7 Annexe)
- British Foreign and State Papers: 1812-1850; 1885-86; 1895-1968 (please note these are held in Stack)
Individual publications in these series are not listed in the Library catalogue, but can be traced using Parliamentary indexes (both print and online). There is not one single index that covers all of the above. Please contact the Maps, Official Publications & Statistics Unit staff at the enquiry desk on Level 7 for help.
Not all official publications are produced by Parliament. In fact, the majority of official papers are those published by Government departments and agencies. The Library acquires this type of publication on a selective basis, based on teaching and research priorities. Non- Parliamentary papers are not held in the Maps, Official Publications & Statistics Unit but are shelved according to subject and can be found by using the Library catalogue. The Maps, Official Publications and Statistics Unit staff can assist with any enquiry about "non-official" material.