Psalterium cum canticis [Greek and Latin].
Edited by Johannes Crastonus Placentinus.
Milan: [Bonus Accursius], 20 Sept. 1481.
4to. [*2] a-h8 I8 k-x8 y-z6.  leaves.
ISTC ip01035000; Goff P1035; BMC VI 756 (IB. 26564a); Bod-inc P-495.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bf.3.5 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variants:||z6r, colophon: “Impreſſum Mediolani Anno Mcccc.Lxxxi die .xx. Septembris.” as in Bod-inc’s first copy; g7r, last line ends “... & holo-” as BMC IB. 26564a not “... & hola-” as IB. 26564b.|
|Note:||Printer's pin-holes visible.|
|Provenance:||Edward Harley (1689-1741), Lord Harley; from 1724 2nd Earl of Oxford: see Binding.
Thomas Osborne (d. 1767), bookseller: purchased all the Harleian printed books; no. 21 in his 'Catalogus bibliothecae Harleianae', vol. 1 (London: 1743); Osborne’s price in pencil on front flyleaf “£4-4-0”.
César de Missy (1703-1775), minister of the French chapel in the Savoy, London (1731-1762): inscription on [*1r] “Ex Libris Caesaris De Missy Londini. Anno Domini 1743.” and a similar inscription on z6r; lot 175 in the De Missy sale of 1776.
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the De Missy sale for £19.0.0 according to the annotated BL copy of the De Missy sale catalogue - shelfmark S.C.S. 10(2).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “M.4.9”.
|Binding:||England, 18th-century gold-tooled red morocco; bound for Lord Harley by Christopher Chapman. On both covers triple fillets form two concentric frames: within the outer frame is an ornamental roll (Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 14, Chapman roll 3), and within the inner frame is an ornamental roll (Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 14, Chapman roll 1); both covers have a lozenge-shaped centre-piece, made up of several individual tools (including Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 15, Chapman nos 6 and 9). The one surviving spine compartment is decorated with Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 15, Chapman no. 3 and two unidentified tools; the turn-ins are decorated with Chapman roll 2; marbled endpapers; rebacked and restored by Douglas Cockerell & Son, May 1965 (binder’s note tipped onto rear pastedown together with a sample of the original gold-tooled spine). Size: 298 x 218 mm.|
|Leaf size:||285 x 201 mm.|
|Annotations:||Manuscript foliation of leaves a1-z6 in crimson ink “1”-“180” in the upper right-hand corner of the rectos; a few signatures omitted by the printer are supplied in manuscript e.g. “qiiii”; a few Psalms numbered in ink and a few marginal references - probably by De Missy.|
|Decoration:||Initials and paragraph marks supplied in alternate crimson and blue throughout.|