Frequently Asked Questions

What does leaving the EU* mean?

After Brexit (currently scheduled for 31 October 2019), free movement will end for nationals from the EU*/EEA/Switzerland. The UK government has signalled that there will be a transition period, meaning that nationals from the EU*/EEA/Switzerland arriving in UK for the first time after 31 October 2019 will be permitted to work for up to 3 months without applying for any status. 

Nationals from the EU*/EEA/Switzerland arriving in UK for first time after 31 October 2019 must apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain (ELTR) during the first three months of their time in the UK, if they wish to work in UK for more than three months.

ELTR may be granted for up to 36 months; after expiry of their ELTR, European visa holders will be required to apply under the new Immigration System

*These rules do not apply to Irish nationals who will continue to have the right to live and work in the UK as set out under the Common Travel Area rules.  

General Information

When will the UK exit the European Union?

The UK Government has requested a further formal delay on the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union after Parliament failed to approve its proposals to leave on the original date of March 29th 2019. EU leaders have granted the UK Government a six month extension to Brexit, confirming a new deadline of 31 October 2019. 

We will endeavour to keep this page updated as the position develops. 

There is a lot of press coverage about Brexit. How can I stay informed?

We aim to provide employees with relevant information. Please refer to the EU Staff Information portal for further information.

You can sign up for email alerts from the Home Office by visiting their website.

You can also learn more by referring to Home Office guidance.

You may wish to register with this Government website, EU Citizens Right to keep informed.

What will happen if there is no deal? (at 11.04.19)

The University is unable to provide definitive details of a no deal scenario. 

On 28 January, 2019, the government set out arrangements for EU citizens in the event of a No Deal.

The Home Office states that EU citizens will be able to enter the UK to visit, work or study after the exit date. For stays longer than 3 months, European Temporary Leave to Remain will be required. A fee will apply.  

Further background on this proposal can be found on the Government's website.

European Temporary Leave to Remain

Guidance for EU citizens coming to the UK to visit, study, work or join family if the UK leaves the EU with no Brexit deal can be found on the Government's website.

Settlement/Indefinite Leave to Remain

What is the EU Settlement Scheme and what is Settlement?

The Government’s Statement of Intent confirms its intention for EU citizens living in the UK, along with their family members, to stay and continue their lives with the same access to work, study, benefits and public services that they enjoy now.  It also allows existing close family members living overseas to join resident EU citizens in the future.  

The EU Settlement Scheme is the framework in which the UK government intends to deliver on its commitment to guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in the UK. 

To obtain settlement, EU citizens and their family members will be required to apply for what is termed Settled status/Indefinite Leave to Remain. EU citizens and their families will have to demonstrate having been resident in the UK for five years before 31 December 2020.  Those who cannot evidence five years of residency at that date, may apply for what is termed pre-Settled status and make a further application for Settled status once they have achieved five years of residency.

The Home Office ran a number of pilot schemes from Autumn 2018 onwards. The Scheme is now fully live. Please refer to guidance below. 

What kind of information will I be required to supply to make an application?

You will be required to provide proof of your identity and nationality.

  • For an EU citizen this will be a valid EU passport (valid = current, not expired and not cancelled or invalidated in any way) OR a valid EU national identity card;
  • For a non-EU family member of an EU citizen, this will be a valid passport, a valid biometric residence card issued under EEA regulations OR a valid biometric residence permit. Where there are compelling practical or compassionate reasons, alternative evidence may be accepted by the Home Office.

To ensure that it is you that is making the application, you will need to provide a facial image which will be checked to make sure it matches the photograph on your identity documents. An EU citizen will be able to upload a passport-style photograph of themselves, but this must be a different photograph from the one contained in your passport or ID card. 

The Scheme is now fully open, and will accept documents by post. Please refer to GOV.UK. 

You will be required to provide proof of residence.

  • This will be your National Insurance Number.  This will allow the Home Office to check your residence status automatically using government records.  If you have not been working in the UK for the whole time you have been resident here, the Home Office will accept additional evidence of your residence.  Alternatively, if you have a valid permanent residence document or valid indefinite leave to remain, you will need to provide proof of that status.

You will be required to complete the criminality check.

  • This will be a declaration of any criminal convictions. This should not affect the vast majority of EU citizens and their family members.

How does the application process work?

The Home Office has devised an app which allows you to upload your photograph and passport/residence card details without surrendering your passport. Using the EU Exit: ID Document Check app is straightforward. To make the application process as simple as possible, the system will use existing government data, such as employment and benefit records, to minimise the burden on applicants.

The Scheme went fully live on 30 March, and there is a secure postal facility to post your documents and application form. The Home Office has confirmed that they will not hold on to your documents unnecessarily. They will not retain the documents for any longer than a few days and should return them to you before a decision is communicated to you. 

Please refer to the Making an Application for full details. 

I already have Indefinite Leave to Remain. Do I need to do anything?

If you previously applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.  You will most likely have a stamp in your passport or a ‘vignette’ (sticker) stating Indefinite Leave to enter or remain along with a letter from the Home Office.

However, subject to meeting the conditions of eligibility, you can apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’.  The Home Office has advised that by doing so you “should be able to spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK without losing your settled status (instead of the 2 years with the indefinite leave to enter or remain you have now)”.

Making an Application on Behalf of a Child

If you are making an application on behalf of a child, the first stage of the process (the ID Verification stage) using the EU Settlement Scheme app is more or less the same as for an adult applicant. A parent provides his/her own email address and mobile telephone number for the purpose of the child’s application. There is no limit to the number of times the same email address and mobile phone number can be used. You should provide the contact details that are easiest for the application process.

The ‘liveness’ test (the stage before taking a photograph) is omitted from a child’s application.

The second stage of the application process will recognise that it is a child’s application and the app will proceed to a different page. The parent is then asked to enter his/her details, including the parent’s name and any reference number issued to the parent at the time of the parent’s application to the Scheme.

The parent is required to provide proof of their relationship to the child when making the child's application. Proof of their residence in the UK is not required unless requested by the Home Office.

If you are making a postal application and not using the app for a child’s application, you will need to post documents to the Home Office.

Further information on the definition of a 'child' in relation to the Settlement Scheme can be found on the links below: 

Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families

EU Settlement Scheme: EU citizens and their family members

I am an Irish national. Do I need to apply for Settlement?

Irish nationals do not need to do anything.

Irish citizens enjoy a right of residence in the UK that is not reliant on the UK’s membership of the EU. The Common Travel Area (CTA) was formed before either Ireland or the UK joined the EU. As part of the negotiations, an agreement has been reached that rights under the CTA will be protected post Brexit. Irish nationals are not  required to apply for Settled status but may do so if they wish. 

Family members of Irish nationals, who are neither Irish nor British citizens, will be able to apply for Settled status, without the Irish citizen doing so.

Further information can be found on the Government website.

I currently have Permanent Residence (PR) status. Do I have to make another application and provide more information about my residency?

You will be required to make another application in order to switch to Settled status to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. The process involved is straightforward. You require details of your valid permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain document. The assessment of your previous UK residence used at the time of your PR or ILR applications will not be repeated.  However, your application will be subject to criminality and security checks and to confirmation that your PR status has not lapsed. Please contact HR for further details on the rules on how absence outside the UK will be treated.

I do not meet the 5 year residency threshold. If I am granted pre-Settled status, what am I required to do once I meet the 5 year residency threshold?

If you are granted pre-Settled status, also known as Limited Leave to Remain (LTR), you will receive a letter from the Home Office granting you the right to remain in the United Kingdom for five years from the date of the letter.  The letter will also provide information on how you can apply for Settled status when you qualify for it. You should retain this letter as it provides guidance on where and how to view and prove your rights. 

The Home Office will not contact you about any future Settlement application; it is an individual's responsibility to make a further application. 

You may also wish to refer to additional documents on the Government's EU Citizen's Rights webpage

My contact details have changed since being granted Settled status. What do I do?

The Home Office will write to you to confirm your status following your application.  This letter will contain a reference number to your Home Office ‘link’.  To amend personal contact details, you should log in using your unique reference number.  You can change your home and workplace addresses; contact telephone numbers as well as any name change.

You will not be able to upload details of a new passport. Please see below.

Can I upload my new passport/ Identity Document details to my Home Office account?

If you have been granted pre-Settled or Settled status and you have a new passport or Identity document, you will not be able to log your new passport details into your Home Office ‘online profile’.  There is currently no option to update this information on-line. 

You are required to send your new passport/ID document to a Home Office centre in Liverpool for processing. The Home Office will endeavour to process this as quickly as possible. You are advised not to begin this process until after you have travelled.  It is not possible to confirm how long this might take but the time will include processing time plus at least 10 additional days to allow for delivery by second-class (recorded) post.

If travelling with a new passport/identity document, this should not affect your EU Settlement Scheme status in any way. During the implementation period up until 31 December 2020, you will not be required to evidence pre-Settled or Settled status.

Please refer to:

UK Government: View and prove your rights in the UK
UK Government: Update your EU Settlement Scheme details


What is naturalisation?

The naturalisation route to British citizenship enables adults who do not fulfil automatic registration criteria but who have lived in the UK for specified periods to apply to become a British citizen.

Eligibility to apply will depend on satisfying a number of criteria, on meeting residence requirements, dependent on whether you are married or in a civil partnership, or not.

Please refer to the Naturalisation Information Sheet for an explanatory note on eligibility for Naturalisation.

Further information on eligibility and the application process can be obtained from

The UK is due to leave the European Union on 31 October 2019. I am an EU national. What are my options?

If the UK leaves the European Union with a deal, nationals from the EU*/EEA/Switzerland arriving in UK before 31 December 2020 must apply for  either pre-Settled of Settled status by 30 June 2021 for Settled Status.  Please refer to Making an Application.

If nationals from EU*/EEA/Switzerland arrive in the UK after 31 December 2020, they will need to apply for status under a new Immigration System which is due to come into force on 1 January 2021. The University will notify all future employees of the new requirements once this information is communicated to us.

If the UK leaves the European Union without a deal, nationals from the EU*/EEA/Switzerland arriving in UK before the UK leaves the EU must apply before 31 December 2020 for Settled Status.