Entrepreneurship and spin-outs
The University actively supports researchers and academic staff in the creation of new ventures to bring new ideas and breakthrough innovations to market.
This support ranges from licensing IP, connecting with investors and partners and facilitating the creation of spinout companies.
If you are interested in finding out more about our pipeline of spinout companies and how you could get involved please contact:
University of Glasgow: Venture Portfolio
A number of our spinout companies and technologies have been acquired, recognising the growth potential of the companies and the impact of their technologies and services.
- Kelvin Connect, a spin-out which specialised in mobile data capture systems - acquired by the UK emergency services’ communications provider Airwave Solutions Limited.
- Gold Standard Simulations, a spin-out which specialised in advanced simulation tools for the semiconductor industry - acquired by Synopsys, a US-based chip design software company specialising in electronic design automation and semiconductor IP.
- ReactivLab, a spin-out which developed animal health diagnostic technology - acquired by the Avacta Group which through its subsidiary, Avacta Animal Health, provided an established route to the veterinary market in the UK, EU and worldwide.
- Kymata, an optical components company built on University of Glasgow technology - acquired by Gemfire, an optical components group.
- Virttu Biologics, a spin-out which pioneered the development of oncolytic viruses for treating cancer - acquired by Sorrento Therapeutics, a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company developing new treatments for immuno-oncology, inflammation and autoimmune diseases.