How to apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1st June 2022
PHD STUDENTSHIP COMMENCEMENT DATE: 1st October 2022
ANNUAL STIPEND (2022/23 rate): £16,062
APPLY NOW FOR 2022
MVLS/EPSRC PhD fully funded positions are available within the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow. Our aim is to deliver high quality, collaborative research and training for our PhD students within the Biosciences. The West of Scotland is a key region in the UK for academic excellence, industrial support and investment.
Areas of research include (but are not restricted to) mathematical biology, bioenergy, synthetic biology, nanobiology and research into healthcare devices. A list of available projects, abstracts and supervisors can be found HERE. We strongly recommend that students examine the list of projects available, and contact potential supervisors to discuss the projects before applying.
Applicants applying for a MVLS/EPSRC studentship must have obtained, or be about to obtain, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or the equivalent qualifications gained outside the UK, in an appropriate area of science or technology.
The studentship provides funding for tuition fees, a stipend and laboratory expenses.
The MVLS/EPSRC grant provides tuition fees and stipend of at least £16,062 (UKRI rate 2022/23).
Fully funded studentships are available at the UK home rate and international rate:
- UK Home studentship – To be eligible for a fully funded UK home studentship you must be a UK national resident in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar for the last three years. Candidates with settled status (having lived in the UK for five years) and pre-settled status (having lived in the UK/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland for a minimum of three years) are eligible for funding. Candidates with indefinite leave to remain or enter are also eligible for funding.
- International studentship – There are a limited number of international studentships for exceptional candidates who do not meet the UK home status mentioned above. International candidates whose first language is not English must demonstrate their proficiency in the English language with IELTS certification or equivalent. ATAS clearance is also required following acceptance of a conditional offer. Information on visa requirements can be fund here.
All applicants must have or expect to obtain a first-class degree (2.1 or equivalent) in an appropriate discipline; Physical Sciences, Engineering, or other relevant disciplines.
Please ensure the following supporting documents are uploaded at point of application.
• Degree certificate
• Language test (if relevant)
• Personal statement (this should provide any other required information in support of the application, such as evidence of previous academic or professional experience that qualifies you for the programme (projects; placements; voluntary work etc). You should state the reasons why you selected this programme and what benefit you hope to achieve through successful completion of the programme. The statement should include information about lab techniques you have used and research projects in which you have been involved. The statement should not be longer than one A4 page)
• Reference 1 (should be from an academic who has a knowledge of your academic ability from your most recent study/programme)
• Reference 2 (should be from an academic who has a knowledge of your academic ability)
Once you have all your supporting documentation you can apply through our Online Application System:
Please note, you must apply to a specific project and it is advised that you contact the primary supervisor prior to making your application. Available projects are detailed HERE. Please ensure that you include details of the project that you are applying to at the supervisor and project title section. The project title should be included in the Research Proposal section of the application.
Note: you are not required to upload a research proposal for this programme, despite the online application stating this.
General enquiries regarding the programme and application procedure should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org