Software Engineering M3 COMPSCI3005
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Computing Science
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 3 (SCQF level 9)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: Yes
An introduction to software engineering principles, processes and techniques.
Two one-hour lectures per week.
100% continuous assessment
Main Assessment In: April/May
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? No
Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the Honours classification. For non Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below.
The coursework cannot be redone because its nature is such that it takes a significant number of days to produce it and this effort is infeasible for supporting the redoing of such coursework over the summer.
To give students who know nothing of Software Engineering an introduction to the topic and to introduce some elementary techniques.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of the course students will be able to:
1. Discuss the importance and need for software engineering as part of the general design of complicated computer systems;
2. Carry out selected software engineering processes.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits