Management Research Methods MGT4018
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 15
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: Yes
The course develops critical awareness of the principles, methods and techniques of management research for Honours students in Management.
Lectures: 2 hours x 10 weeks
Tutorials: 1 hour x 3 weeks.
Tutorial slots can be selected on MyCampus.
MGT4090 Introduction to Management Research Methods Online (exchange students).
Individual assignment (4000 words)
Intended Learning Outcomes
Word Length/ Duration
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? Not applicable for Honours courses
Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the Honours classification. For non-Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below.
This course aims to:
■ develop critical awareness of the principles, methods, tools and techniques of management enquiry;
■ enhance student skills regarding research design, research strategy and qualitative and quantitative methods;
■ prepare students for independent management research.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of the course students will be able to:
1. Critically engage with current management research and scholarship;
2. Perform a literature search and write a literature review on a selected management topic;
3. Compare, contrast and critically evaluate principal research designs in management;
4. Explore ethical issues in management research practice;
5. Outline the steps involved in the design and implementation of small independent research projects.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.