Business and Management Dissertation MGT4002P
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 30
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
The dissertation enables students to conduct and develop their independent research skills.
Away day timetabled start of semester one (September) - 6 hours;
Six x 1 hour teaching sessions timetabled for Research Skills (running October - March);
Five hours of supervisory meetings to be arranged at the mutual convenience of supervisors and students.
Dissertation of between 7,000 and 10,000 words.
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? Not applicable
Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the Honours classification. For non Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below.
To conduct a piece of student-led, independent research that is represented in an academic research report.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this piece of work, students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate their independent research skills to identify and formulate a business/management problem to be researched;
2. Summarise and synthesise relevant academic literature in a coherent, logical and focused way;
3. Critically evaluate relevant arguments and techniques and apply them to the chosen research problem;
4. Assess issues surrounding the appropriateness of various primary and secondary data collection and data analysis methods, justify approaches taken;
5. Demonstrate the ability to manage their time effectively when dealing with research project planning and application
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits