Mergers and Acquisitions ACCFIN4064
- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
To develop students' understanding of key theoretical aspects of business Mergers and Acquisitions This course builds on the material covered in Finance 1 and Finance 2.
10 x 2 hour seminars
4 x 1 hour of tutorials
Please refer to MyCampus for timetable.
Intended learning outcomes
Main Assessment In: April/May
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? Not applicable
Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the Honours classification. For non Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below.
The aims of this course are to:
â¢ Develop students' understanding of key aspects of Mergers and Acquisitions at an advanced level.
â¢ Assist students to acquire the ability to critically understand both recent and past empirical research in this field.
â¢ Equip students with the necessary tools to potentially undertake dissertations and/or future research in this area.
â¢ Allow for students to build key interpersonal skills through group work transferable into their future careers.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Summarise and critically review the theory, the principles and the practices of Mergers and Acquisitions
2. Explain in a critical fashion the principles and practices of Mergers and Acquisitions
3. Show skills in valuing targets and estimating the potential gains from takeovers
4. Contrast at an advanced level the various empirical methodologies on Mergers and Acquisitions
5. Assess the various theories in the Mergers and Acquisitions literature
6. Identify contradictions in the various theories in the Mergers and Acquisitions literature
7. Work effectively within a group work environment
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits