- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 2 (SCQF level 8)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
The course covers the basic principles of the main UK taxes, with an emphasis on the computation of tax liabilities.
Lectures: 3 hours x 10 weeks
Tutorials: 1 hour x 9 weeks
1 in course exam(25%) and 1 degree exam (75%)
1, 2 & 4
Main Assessment In: April/May
The course aims to provide an understanding of the principles of UK taxation and to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to calculate income tax, national insurance, corporation tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and value added tax liabilities.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Appraise the operation of the UK tax system and methods of tax collection.
2. Perform computations of income tax, national insurance, corporation tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and value added tax liabilities.
3. Apply knowledge of tax regulation and practical skills to identify tax efficient uses of exemptions, reliefs and losses.
4. Clearly communicate how you have applied rules to a practical situation.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit 100% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.