Outstanding performance in REF 2014 for School of Critical Studies

Glasgow English (English and Scottish Language and Literature) is proud of its outstanding performance in REF 2014.  As in the previous exercise (RAE 2008) we were ranked first in Scotland and third in the UK, after Oxford and Cambridge, for ‘research power’, i.e. the measure of research excellence in relation to the numbers of staff returned to the exercise.

This result places Glasgow English firmly within the top 4% of institutions in the UK.  78% of our research was graded world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).  90% of our ‘research environment’ was assessed as ‘world-leading’. i.e. conducive to the development of world-leading research (including postgraduate support), with the remaining 10% internationally excellent.

Professor Jeremy Smith (Head of School) said: ‘We can be very pleased with this result, which, building on the outstanding results in RAE 2001 and RAE 2008, cements Glasgow’s position as a leading centre of excellence for the discipline.’


First published: 23 December 2014