Dr Jonathan Olsen
- Research Fellow (MRC/CSO Social & Public Health Sciences Unit)
Jon is a Research Fellow and leads the Mobility and Place workstream within the Places and Health Programme at the MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit (SPHSU). As a Health Geographer, Jon’s research interests are in Spatial Epidemiology and Population Health. Recent publications include multi-city international comparisons of urban land covers/uses and health, development of a novel methodology for describing children's mobility and the complexity of their environmental exposure from GPS data, population levels of active travel, and social-spatial patterning of road accidents and 'environmental bads'.
Previously he was based in the Public Health team within the Institute, conducting quantitative research on the NIHR funded M74 Study, the longitudinal follow-up for the health effects of the new urban motorway. Prior to this, Jon worked as a Senior Public Health Analyst for the NHS in North West England whilst undertaking an MSc in Public Health (2011) before completing a PhD in Epidemiology (2015) at Cardiff University.
Jon is an Editorial Board Member (Associate Editor) for the 'Environmental Health' section of BMC Public Health.
Jon lectures and assists with marking on the following modules:
- Statistics and Epidemiology, MSc Primary Care.
- Principals of Population Health, MSc Population Health Sciences.
- Sustainability, Environment, and Health, Master of Public Health.
- Dissertation (Supervision and Assessment), Master of Public Health.