Dr Claire Niedzwiedz
- RCUK Innovation Fellow (Mental Health & Wellbeing)
telephone: 0141 330 0264
Dr Niedzwiedz obtained her BSc Hons in Physiology at the University of St Andrews and her MSc in Public Health Research at the University of Edinburgh. She completed undergraduate and postgraduate research projects relating to the epidemiology of schizophrenia and suicide clusters and became increasingly interested in public mental health and health inequalities.
After completing her MSc, Dr Niedzwiedz worked as an analyst at the Information Services Division of NHS Scotland working with a range of administrative health datasets.
She then went on to complete her PhD in Public Health at the University of Glasgow in 2014, which focused on understanding the role of social circumstances across the life course and wellbeing in older people across Europe.
Dr Niedzwiedz then went on to work in postdoctoral research positions at the University of Edinburgh and Oxford. During 2017 she also worked as a Senior Research Officer at the Mental Health Foundation in Scotland.
Currently, Dr Niedzwiedz is funded by a RCUK Innovation Fellowship (part of the Medical Research Council Skills Development Programme) and joined the Mental Health & Wellbeing group in 2017. Her fellowship focuses on exploring the relationship between physical and mental health conditions. She uses a range of secondary data sources, including UK Biobank and linked administrative health data.
Dr Niedzwiedz's research focuses on understanding the determinants of mental health and wellbeing and outcomes associated with poor mental health. She is also interested in understanding how social exposures 'get under the skin' to influence health and health inequalities.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Patterns and predictors of non-psychiatric hospital admissions among people with severe mental illness in UK Biobank
University of York
2019 - 2020
Dr Niedzwiedz welcomes enquiries about projects in the areas of social and psychiatric epidemiology.
Dr Niedzwiedz currently supervises projects as part of the MSc in Global Mental Health and BSc (Med Sci) Clinical Medicine intercalated in Psychological Medicine.
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2015: National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) Training Bursary (Economic and Social Research Council)
- 2013: Ferenc Bojan Young Investigator Award (finalist) (European Public Health Conference)
- 2011: PhD Studentship (University of Glasgow)
- 2017 - 2020: Medical Research Council Skills Development Fellowship
- 2008 - 2009: Medical Research Council Advanced Course Masters Studentship
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2019: Economic and Social Research Council, Approaches to Understanding and Measuring Wellbeing Grant Panel
Professional & learned societies
- 2016 - 2018: Committee Member (Social Media Officer), Society for Social Medicine