Academic and Professional Skills for GES PGT GEOG5123
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Geographical and Earth Sciences
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
A skills core course for selected PGT students in the School of Geographical and Earth Sciences, covering academic and professional topics including research communication and professional development.
Up to four hours per week, arranged within a single day each week over five weeks.
GEOG5021: Research and Professional Issues in Geomatics
GEOG5057: Research and Professional Issues in Sustainable Water Environments
A portfolio of items including a group-designed oral presentation with individual reflection and references
For students to develop and demonstrate a baseline level of academic and professional skills including, but not restricted to; academic reading, writing, oral communication, group work, peer assessment, research integrity and personal reflection.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Work in a collaborative setting.
- Select and correctly reference literature.
- Reflectively discuss personal and collaborative effectiveness.
- Implement a scientific writing style to a specific format.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.