Why Join Unite?
Unite is the largest trade union in the UK and Ireland with around 1.3 million members across 20 different private, public and voluntary sectors including manufacturing, public services, transport, food, finance and construction.
Check out below 10 good reasons why you should join Unite.
- You can earn more - trade union members earn, on average 10 percent more than non-members.
- You could get more holiday - Unions are the people that brought you the weekend. Unite campaigns to protect your holiday entitlements.
- You can get a better deal – Unite negotiates terms of maternity or paternity leave, pensions, and redundancy winning you more than the legal minimum.
- You are less likely to be injured – there are 50 percent fewer accidents in unionised workplaces. Unite works to ensure employers protect employees from risks to their health and safety.
- Support whenever you need it – All Unite members have access to free advice, support and legal representation when required. With Unite's support you can stand up for your rights and make sure you are treated fairly at work.
- In or out of work, there is a place for you – Unite Community offers a place for all those out of work, studying or retired - meaning that you are always part of something bigger.
- You get more - and better - training – union members are more likely to get on with better training and development. Unite has fully trained learning reps to help you update your skills.
- You can get better compensation – in 2013, a record £330 million was won for union members and their families through legal help, and £1 million in equal pay claims - an average of £15,000 per member.
- Better job security – trade union members are more likely to stay in their jobs longer - on average, five years more than non-members.
- Being part of the fight for fairness - from defending our NHS to fighting for decent homes to campaigning against discrimination.