There are three approved ways to buy print.
- The University's Print Unit provides digital printing services to all University departments, its wider partners, staff, students and external customers.
- The University works with a framework of approved external printers who can deliver both small and large-scale print jobs.
- The University allows the designers on the design framework to offer print management as part of their design service.
University Print Unit
The University’s Print Unit offers a range of digital print services including:
- Professional digital colour printing on a full range of paper and board (card) up to A3
- Large format posters at A2, A1 and A0; for custom sizes contact the Print Unit
- Pull-up roller banners for exhibition and display use
- Volume black and white photocopying
- Volume colour copying
- File preparation conforming to the University’s visual identity
- Drop-in fast turnaround copying and binding
- University stationery including letterheads, compliment slips and business cards
- Private work
- Print buying conforming to the framework agreement
Using External Printers
Print framework agreement
The University makes use of a Scottish Government/Scottish Procurement framework agreement for litho/digital print services. There are 11 contractors on the framework.
- For spend under £3,000, you can approach a single source supplier on the framework. Remember to ensure that the supplier is capable of delivering the service you require. There is a list of approved suppliers below.
- For spend between £3,000 and £25,000, a mini competition must be conducted with a minimum of three framework contractors invited to submit a tender. The University’s Procurement Office has guidance.
- For spend over £25,000, please contact the Procurement Office who will conduct this competition for you.
The Scottish Government/Scottish Procurement Framework Agreement for Print and Associated Services (Lot 1: Litho/Digital Print Services). Reference SP-18-001.
Allander Print Ltd, 4 East Telferton, Edinburgh EH7 6XD
Contact: Gary Holmes, Email: email@example.com, Tel: 07876 147 897
Barr Printers Ltd, Moray House, 4 Faraday Road, Glenrothes, Fife KY6 2RU
Contact: Jan Cowie, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 01592 776870
Harlow Printing Ltd, Maxwell Street, South Shields, Tyne and Wear NE33 4PU
Contact: Sandra Murphy, Email: email@example.com, Tel: 0191 455 4286
Ivanhoe Caledonian Printing Company, Riverside Works, Eskmills, Musselburgh EH21 7PE
Contact: Keith Marshall, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 0131 665 8444
J Thomson Colour Printers Ltd, 14 Carnoustie Place, Glasgow G5 8PB
Contact: Bryan Reid, Email: email@example.com, Tel: 0141 429 1094
Mackay & Inglis Ltd, 19 Polmadie Street, Glasgow G42 0PQ
Contact: David Smith, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 0141 423 8866
MBM Print SCS Limited, 1 Tennant Avenue, College Milton South, East Kilbride G74 5NA
Contact: Helen Johnston, Email: Helen.Johnston@mbmprint.co.uk, Tel: 0141 620 4405
McAllister Litho Glasgow Ltd, 170 Elliot Street, Glasgow G3 8EX
Contact: Phil Wilson, Email: ScotGov@mlg.co.uk, Tel: 0141 248 7240
Pandaprint, 104 Park Road, Rosyth, Fife KY11 2JL
Contact: Lloyd Mair, Email: email@example.com, Tel: 01383 417847
Sterling Press Ltd, Sterling House, Kettering Venture Park, Kettering NN15 6XU
Contact: Adam Jones, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 01536 527 300
Streamline Corporate, 7 Queen Anne Drive, Edinburgh EH28 8LH
Contact: Lynn Fergusson, Email: email@example.com, Tel: 0131 333 2222
The Scottish Government/Scottish Procurement also operates another framework agreement for Publishing, Print, Design & Associated Services (PPDAS framework). There is a single supplier on this framework: APS Group (Scotland) Ltd, 21 Tennant Street, Leith, Edinburgh EH6 5NA. The APS Group has information about the services offered, including focus groups, copywriting, digital marketing and campaign analysis.
For all print jobs, you will need to provide a print specification for the suppliers which should include the following information about your publication:
- Trim size (eg A4, A5, 105mm x 148 mm)
- Orientation (ie portrait or landscape)
- Number of pages (include front and back inner and outer covers)
- Any special information (such as is there a flap on the front or back cover)
- Printing (eg full colour/CMYK or additional spot colours)
- Material (coated or uncoated, weight of material. Often a cover will be heavier than text pages)
- Binding (how will the pages be held together, eg stapled, PUR bound)
- Quantity (number of copies to be printed)
- Schedule (state when artwork will be available and when delivery is required).
A Print specification template is available.