Vergilius, Polydorus: Proverbiorum libellus.
Venice: Christophorus de Pensis, de Mandello, 6 Nov. 1500.
8vo. a-h8 i4.  leaves.
ISTC iv00148000; GW M50150; Goff V148; BMC V 473 (IA. 23518); BSB-Ink V-141.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll BC7-y.11 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||The fourth of four works bound together. Bound with: (1) Grapaldus, Franciscus Marius, De partibus aedium. [Parma]: Angelus Ugoletus, [1494?]; (2) Beroaldo, Filippo, Orationes et carmina. Bologna: [Benedictus Hectoris], 31 July 1502; (3) Vergilius, Polydorus, De inventoribus rerum. Venice: Joannes Tacuinus, 13 July 1503.|
|Provenance:||Ambrosius of Bernstadt, Silesia (16th century): inscription on a1r of first item in volume (lightly scored through) “Liber Ambrosij bernstadie[n]sis [...]”
L.G.: 16th-century woodcut coat of arms pasted onto a1r of first item in volume depicting, within a shield, a bear on whose back is seated a woman with flowing hair, wearing a crown and dressed in royal attire, and with her arms upraised; a second representation of the woman appears above the shield showing her standing with her upraised arms flanked by the initials “L” and “G”. Arms identified as Rawa/Rawicz coat of arms of Polish origin, used by several families and many individuals – see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawa_coat_of_arms.
Sir William Hamilton (1788-1856), Professor of Logic and Metaphysics, University of Edinburgh: source unknown.
University of Glasgow: Hamilton collection donation, 1878.
|Binding:||Germany, 16th-century wooden boards, blind-tooled parchment spine decorated with a repeated vine-like tool with tendrils (Rautengerank) to form characteristic pointed oval shapes, and furthered decorated with a separate foliate stamp; two clasps (both lost except for the two chased brass catch plates surviving on the front board); 16th-century manuscript titles on upper and lower edge of text block; without pastedowns; parchment strips from a rubricated manuscript used to line joints; parchment tabs separate the four works; pasted onto the inner front board is a 16th-century woodcut of St John as bishop, with halo, mitre and crozier, open book in his hands, and with his emblem, an eagle, standing at his feet; 16th-century woodcut of zodiac man pasted onto inner rear board; a 19th-century paper title label added to spine; partial extract from a 19th-century German bookseller’s catalogue pasted onto inner front board (without item number or price, binding described as ‘hlzbd’). Size: 216 × 152 mm.|
|Leaf size:||206 x 148 mm.|
|Annotations:||Single keyword on b5v.|