Lucanus, Marcus Annaeus: Pharsalia.
[Verona: Giovanni and Alberto Alvise, 1478-79]
Fol. π4 a-n8 o-p6.  leaves (p6 blank).
ISTC il00298000; GW M18868; Goff L298; BMC VII 950 (IB. 30728); Bod-inc L-156; CIBN L-233.
Date taken from ISTC; CIBN (L-233) dates [ca. 1479]; Bod-inc dates [ca. 1479-80].
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bg.2.28 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variant:||The last words of lines 3, 13, and 36 of d1r are printed “mundi”, “geloī.”, and “mineuræ.” respectively, as BMC IB. 30728 and IB. 30726, not "mundid", "geloin.", and "mineruæ." as IB. 30727.|
|Provenance:||John Savage (1673-1747), scholar and Church of England clergyman: lot 330 (“Lucan Phars. sl. sa.”) in A catalogue of the libraries ... of the late John Savage, D.D. vicar of Clothal, Hertfordshire ... and of the late Savage Tyndall, D.D. vicar of Barking in Essex (London: Samuel Baker, 1763).
Savage Tyndall (ordained 1734, rector of Elmley, near Sittingbourne, 1751), Church of England clergyman: see above sale (the two collections undifferentiated).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Savage & Tyndall sale for £0.7.6 according to the British Library annotated copy of the sale catalogue - shelfmark S.C.S.3*(8).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “J.4.2”.
|Binding:||England, 18th-century, blind-tooled panelled calf; sprinkled red-edged leaves. Size: 265 x 180 mm.|
|Leaf size:||257 x 172 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional underlining, nota marks and manicules.|
|Decoration:||Initials "C", "B" and "Q" added in ink on a1r.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the preliminary quire and the blank leaf p6.|