Florus, Lucius Annaeus: Epitomae rerum Romanarum.
Add: Alexander de Roes: Memoriale de praerogativa Romani imperii.
[Cologne: Arnold Ther Hoernen, ca. 1474]
Fol. [1-310].  leaves (3/10 blank).
ISTC if00233000; GW 10094; Goff F233; BMC I 202 (IB. 3271); Bod-inc F-077; CIBN F-132.
Date from GW; also dated [c.1471].
The Memoriale of Alexander de Roes incorporates the work of Jordanus Osnabrugensis, De imperio romano. The version given here, with title De commendacione Romani imperii, corresponds to chapters 4-34 of the edition of H. Grundmann and H. Heimpel (Alexander von Roes, Schriften (Stuttgart: 1958)), of which chapters 4-9 are the tract of Jordanus – ISTC.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bx.2.23 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||See Binding.|
|Variant:||3/9v (f. 29v), line 41: “... de erratis.” as in Universitäts- und Stadtbibliothek Köln digitized copy, not as in GW “... re erratis.” and line 42 reads “... rōni.” as in Universitäts- und Stadtbibliothek Köln digitized copy, not as in GW “... dōni.”|
|Provenance:||Anthony Askew (1722-1774), physician and classical scholar: probably lot 1748 (‘Flori (Lucii) Historia, editio princeps, sine Anni & Loci, vel Typographi Indicio’) in Bibliotheca Askeviana … (London: Baker & Leigh, 1775).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter for £6.6.0; see the annotated British Library copy of the Askew sale catalogue (where De Bure is named as buyer but his name crossed out and replaced with Hunter’s).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Au.5.6”.
|Binding:||18th-century brown speckled sheep; covers decorated with a double gold-fillet border and a panel formed by a blind roll and fillets, with a floral ornament in blind at the outer corners; restored and repaired, with new goatskin spine, by Douglas Cockerell & Son, Jan. 1958; new endpapers, but original front free endpaper with inscriptions bound in; binder’s note tipped onto rear pastedown; original sprinkled red-edging of leaves retained; paper index tab on 1/1 - suggesting this was once bound with another or other works. Size: 298 x 215 mm.|
|Leaf size:||288 x 208 mm.|
|Annotations:||Brief 15th/16th-century marginal annotations on 3/7 (f. 27); in a different hand (16th century) frequent marginal annotations giving the names of various wars e.g. “Bellum Mithridaticum”, “Bellum Creticum”; 15th/16th-century signatures “a”-“c” at lower outer corner of many leaves; on front free endpaper 18th-century annotation “Editio Princeps” together with a lightly deleted 18th-century shelfmark “Pr.B-F” (both in ink) and the number “580” in pencil.|
|Decoration:||Initials supplied in red throughout; guide-letters frequently visible in brown ink; occasional paragraph marks in red.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf 3/10.|