Dionysius Periegetes: De situ orbis.
Translated by Antonius Beccaria.
Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478.
4to. a-c8 d-e6.  leaves.
ISTC id00254000; GW 8427; Goff D254; BMC V 195 (IA. 19865); Bod-inc D-100; CIBN D-161; BSB-Ink D-178.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bk5-g.22 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||The second of five incunabula bound together.
Bound with: (1) Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis. Venice: [Printer of Pomponius Mela], 15 Nov. 1477 (M24); (3) Johannes de Sacro Bosco, Sphaera mundi. Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478 (J21); (4) Johannes de Erfordia, Computus chirometralis. [Cologne: Johann Koelhoff, the Elder, ca. 1480-85] (J19); (5) Aurelius Victor, Sextus [pseudo-], De viris illustribus. Venice: Andreas de Paltasichis, 5 June 1477 (A126).
|Provenance:||For likely early provenances of Henry Gibson (fl. 1553) and John Gibson (16th century), see the first, third and fifth items bound up with this work.
Robert Wodrow (1679-1734), minister of Eastwood, ecclesiastical historian and Librarian of the University of Glasgow: inscription "Ex Libris Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis Ex Dono M. Roberti Woddrow Pastoris Ecclesiae de Eastwood 1703" on a2r of the first item in this volume (Pomponius Mela); see Munimenta alme Universitatis Glasguensis, ed. C. Innes, 4 vols (Glasgow: 1854), III, p. 448.
University of Glasgow: signed "Jo: Stirling Principal" on a2r of the Pomponius Mela, by John Stirling (1654-1727) in his capacity as Principal; Old Library shelfmark "AF 6 n.21." on a2r of the Pomponius Mela, matching entry in Catalogus librorum Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis anno 1691; shelfmark "AS.2.5" on a2r of the Pomponius Mela matching entry in A. Arthur, Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis (Glasguae: 1791).
|Binding:||Late 15th/early 16th-century blind-tooled calf over oak boards, bevelled edges; single small brass catch plate (all that survives of an original thong clasp) on front board; covers decorated with triple fillets to form a panel, which is divided by triple fillets into lozenges and triangles, each decorated with a single fleur-de-lys stamp. Rebacked in goatskin and restored, with new endpapers and flyleaves, by Anthony Gardner, Apr. 1967; binder’s note on rear free endpaper and flyleaf. Size: 205 × 145 mm.|
|Leaf size:||193 x 130 mm.|
|Annotations:||Faded and unread brief (ownership?) inscription on e6v (final blank page): “Iste liber …”|
|Decoration:||Many woodcut initials decorated in red; paragraph marks supplied in red; chapter headings underlined in red; printed paragraph marks in the list of provinces and islands on e5v and e6r given red strokes.|