Caesar, Gaius Julius: Commentarii.
Edited by Hieronymus Bononius. Add: Raimundus Marlianus: Index commentariorum C. Julii Caesaris.
Venice: Theodorus de Ragazonibus, 13 July 1490.
Fol. a-q8 r6 (leaf p2 missigned “dii”). 134 leaves (the first blank).
ISTC ic00023000; Goff C23; BMC V 477 (IB. 23548), XII 34 (IB. 23547); Bod-inc C-011; GW 5870; CIBN C-11; BSB-Ink C-29.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bx.2.22 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variant:||a2r, lines, 3-4: ‘unā in-||colunt ... Aquinati: ...’ as GW’s main transcription, not ‘unam in||colunt ... Aquitani: ...’ as GW Anm.; a3r, line 1: ‘ ... animo. Da-’ not ‘animo Da’ as BMC IB.23547, or ‘animo Da-’ as IB. 23548; b1r, line 1: ‘... imperauit: ne ...’ as GW’s main transcription, not ‘... imperauit ne ...’ as GW Anm; n1r, line 46: ‘... gloriabant[ur] ... not ‘... gloribantur ...’ and ‘... pulſum’ not ‘... pulſū’ cf. GW Anm.|
|Provenance:||Ebenezer Brown (d. 1828), M.D., Inspector General of Hospitals: presented to the Hunterian Library in March, 1852 (cf. University of Glasgow Library MSS, Museum records, MR37/14, 15) by Miss Marjory Ettles of Stirling from the library of her late brother-in-law, Dr Ebenezer Brown, a matriculated student in the Greek Class at Glasgow University in 1786 (cf. James Coutts, 'A history of the University of Glasgow from its foundation in 1451 to 1909', pp. 404-5; W. Innes Addison, 'The matriculation albums of the University of Glasgow from 1728 to 1858', no. 4573).
Marjory Ettles (fl. 1852) of Stirling: see above.
University of Glasgow: presented in 1852 (see above); Hunterian Museum bookplate, with former shelfmarks “E.2.7” and “Bg.3.22” (a later addition to the Hunterian Library with no connection to William Hunter’s original collection).
|Binding:||Italy, 16th-century limp parchment case (flesh side out) with flap at fore-edge; alum thonged tie; turn-in of case thonged together at corners with white alumed strips; loose piece of parchment apparently attached to front cover for tie to fix to; title written in ink in an early hand on both covers (with a second title in ink on rear cover in a later hand). Repaired and restored, with new front and rear protection leaves of heavy paper, by Douglas Cockerell & Son, Jan. 1955; binder’s note attached to rear protection leaf. Housed in a cloth-covered slip case with red niger spine. Size: 311 x 220 mm.|
|Leaf size:||309 x 215 mm.|
|Annotations:||Geographical names written in a 16th-century hand in margins of p7v and p8r; early ink doodlings on i7v and i8v.|
|Decoration:||A few initials supplied (rather crudely) in pencil.|