Celsus, Aurelius Cornelius: De medicina.
Milan: Leonardus Pachel and Uldericus Scinzenzeler, 1481.
4to. a-i8 K8 l-r8 ſ8 [t]8.  leaves, (a1, [t]8 blank).
ISTC ic00365000; GW 6457; Goff C365; BMC VI 750 (IB. 26474); Bod-inc C-161; CIBN C-208; BSB-Ink C-208.
Two copies held by University of Glasgow.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Be.3.27 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variants:||a2r, lines 1-2: “... LIBER PRI-||MVS INCIPIT.” as in BMC and GW Anm. 1; [t7v], line 24: “FINIS TABVLAE” as in BMC, not "FINIS TABVLE" as GW's main transcription or "FINIS TABULAE" as GW Anm. 2.|
|Provenance:||Mainz, Dominicans(?): deleted inscription (16th/17th century) on a2r, possibly “Bibliothecae moguntinae ord. fratrum Praed.”
Edward Harley (1689-1741), Lord Harley; from 1724 2nd Earl of Oxford: see Binding.
Thomas Osborne (d. 1767), bookseller: purchased all the Harleian printed books; top corner of first front flyleaf cut off - as in many other Harleian volumes - probably by Osborne to remove his earlier price (cf. J.B. Oldham, 'Shrewsbury School bindings', p.114); no. 1916 in Osborne's 'Catalogus bibliothecae Harleianae', vol. 3 (London: 1744).
Robert Nesbitt (d.1761), physician; lot 1598 ‘Aur. Corn. Celsus de Medicina, in corio turc. impress. Mediol. per Leon Pachel & Ulderic. Sinczenzeler 1481’ in 'A catalogue of the large and valuable library of Robert Nesbitt, M.D. ...' (London: 1761).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Nesbitt sale for £4.0.0 according to the copy of the sale catalogue (sparsely annotated with buyers’ names) in Harvard University Library.
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Ak.4.13”.
|Binding:||England, 18th-century gold-tooled red goatskin, bound for Lord Harley 30 April 1717 by Jane Steel for £0.19.0 (see Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pp. 163, 193-4). Both covers are decorated with three panels (the inner and middle panels joined by a double fillet line at the corners); the inner panel is outlined by a triple fillet and is filled with a lozenge-shaped centre-piece, made up of several individual tools (including Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 10, Steel nos 2 and 9); the middle panel, outlined by a double fillet, has a fleuron at each outer corner (Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 10, Steel no. 10) and side-pieces at each outer edge composed of triangular massed tooling (using the same tools as the centre-piece), thereby decorating the outer panel which is bordered by a double fillet. (For similarly decorated covers on an Isocrates, Milan 1493, in St. John’s College, Cambridge, see Nixon, Harleian bindings, pl. 9.) The head and foot of the spine are decorated with Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 10, Steel roll 2, and the tools used in the spine compartments include Nixon, ‘Harleian bindings’, pl. 10, Steel, nos 1a, 1b, and 7; the turn-ins are decorated with Steel roll 2; marbled endpapers. Size: 297 x 210 mm.|
|Leaf size:||288 x 198 mm.|
|Annotations:||Frequent marginal annotations in a 16th-century hand (mainly extracting keywords), occasional manicules and “nota” marks; the same hand has begun a rudimentary alphabetical index on [t]8v and has supplied a title on a1r “Cornelij Celsi medicinalis Liber” - below which is an unread inscription in a later hand; leaves a2-h6 foliated in an early hand “1”-“60” (“48” repeated).|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bg.3.4 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variants:||a2r, lines 1-2: “... LIBER PRI=||MVS INCIPIT.” as in BMC and GW Anm. 1; [t7v], line 24: “FINIS TABVLAE” as in BMC and GW Anm. 2.|
|Provenance:||William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: source unknown.
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Ap.3.5”.
|Binding:||18th-century parchment over pasteboards; covers decorated with a double blind fillet to form a mitred panel design; spine undecorated; sprinkled red and blue-edged leaves; flyleaves have watermark of a fleur-de-lis placed within a crowned shield below which are suspended the initials “WR”. Size 270 x 197 mm.|
|Leaf size:||259 x 187 mm.|
|Annotations:||Frequent marginal annotations (many cropped by binder) in a 16th-century hand mainly in dull red ink, occasionally in brown; paragraph marks, underlining, manicules and “nota” marks in the same hand - which has also supplied on [t]4v, in the printed index to book V, a marginal drawing of a dog and a snake (referring to “morsus rabiosi canis” and “morsus serpentium”); symbol in ink resembling # in top outer corner of a2r.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf [t]8.|