Bible. N.T. Epistolae. [Latin]
Commentary by S. Hieronymus. Edited by Aegidius Delphus.
Paris: [Georg Wolf], 28 Feb. 1491/92.
4to. a-p8 A8 B4.  leaves.
ISTC ip00155700; GW M29864; C 4639; CIBN B-460.
Also recorded as from the press of Ulrich Gering. On the printer, see BMC VIII p. xx. Although there is an editor's dedicatory epigram 'ad ulricum Impressorem', Wolf was printing with Gering's types at his address at the time.
Two copies held by the University of Glasgow.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian By.3.2 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||A. E., or, perhaps, Ae[gidius] (16th century): inscription “Æ” on a2r.
Louis-Léon-Félicité, duc de Brancas de Lauraguais (1733-1824): lot 9 in Guillaume de Bure, Catalogue d’une collection de livres choisis, provenans du cabinet de M*** (Paris: 1770).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Brancas de Lauraguais sale through his agent, Pietro Molini, for 16 livres 1 sou; see Molini’s bill to Hunter (University of Glasgow Library, Hunter Papers H214).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “At.5.21”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century blue goatskin; covers decorated with a triple gold-fillet border, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt-edged leaves; pink silk bookmark. Size: 208 x 142 mm.|
|Leaf size:||202 x 136 mm.|
|Annotations:||16th-century marginal annotations in Latin on leaves a5v-a6v; underlining, nota marks and manicules in quires a-c; probable ownership inscription erased from top margin of a2r (evidence of ink offsetting on a1v); 18th-century annotation on a1v “Imprimé à Paris en Sorbon[n]e l’an 1491”.|
|Decoration:||Three-line initial “P” supplied in washed-out pink(?) and gold on a2r; other initials throughout supplied in red and/or washed-out blue; paragraph marks supplied throughout in red or washed-out blue.|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll T.C.L. 450 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||William Euing (1788-1874), insurance broker, Glasgow: source unknown; Euing’s pencil acquisition note on verso of front free endpaper “WE/23” and an early Euing inventory number “19” on same page.
Free Church College Library, Glasgow (later Trinity College Library), founded 1856: presented to the College by William Euing, April 1867 (see GUL MS Euing 50); blind ownership stamp of Free Church College Library on a2r; Trinity College shelfmarks “20/1” on verso of front free endpaper and “41 B/5” on front flyleaf, both in pencil.
University of Glasgow: Trinity College Library placed on permanent deposit in University of Glasgow Library in 1974 by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
|Binding:||16th-century blind-tooled calf over wooden boards; both covers divided by quadruple fillets into numerous lozenge and triangular-shaped compartments, most of which contain a separate stamp of a four-petalled flower; nail holes on each board provide evidence of two clasps (both now missing); rebacked in the 19th century at which time marbled endpapers and flyleaves were added together with gilt-edging. Size: 218 x 140 mm.|
|Leaf size:||203 x 135 mm.|
|Annotations:||Unread early ownership inscription on a2r partially erased or deleted.|
|Decoration:||Initials and paragraph marks supplied in red throughout.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting a1, p8 and quires A and B.|