[Vicenza]: Leonardus Achates de Basilea, 10 May 1476.
Fol. π4 a-i10 k6 l-r10 ꝛ10 ſ10 s8 t-u6 v8 x-z10 ⁊10 A-C8 D-G10 H8 I-K6 L8 M12; 2A-D10 2E-G8 2H10 2I12 2K-M10 N-O10 P14.  leaves (π4, M1, 2K10, P1 blank).
ISTC ib00549000; GW 4224; Goff B549; BMC VII 1031 (IB. 31709); Bod-inc B-258.
Signatures individually stamped in the extreme lower right corner of leaves in quires a-z; after the first alphabet they appear to have been set further out on the margin.
Two copies held by the University of Glasgow.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bw.2.8 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Note:||Printer's pin-holes visible.|
|Note:||None of the stamped signatures after the first alphabet survives intact.|
|Provenance:||Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 25 in Guillaume de Bure, Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat, 2 vols (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 33 livres; see Dessain-Hunter correspondence (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f. 23r).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Au.3.7”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century red goatskin; covers decorated with a triple gold-fillet border, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt-edged leaves. Size: 290 x 204 mm.|
|Leaf size:||278 x 192 mm.|
|Annotations:||Frequent marginal annotations in a 15th/16th-century hand from Genesis to Chronicles, together with nota marks and occasional manicules; numerous manicules in Proverbs; frequent nota marks in the Pauline Epistles and in Acts.|
|Decoration:||Several initials supplied in brown ink in Proverbs; numerous initials supplied in brown ink in the New Testament; circular diagram in pen-and-ink on 2G1r (f. 419r).|
|Imperfections:||Wanting bifolium 2G2.7 (ff. 420 and 425), and the blank leaves M1 (f. 351), 2k10 (f. 458) and P1 (f. 479 - with stub showing).|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bh8-e.8 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Note:||Printer's pin-holes visible.|
|Note:||Many of the stamped signatures after the first alphabet have been cropped.|
|Note:||Quires N-P (Interpretationes nominum Hebraicorum) bound between the Old and New Testaments.|
|Provenance:||Cluny, Benedictine Abbey(?): inscription on o6v “Iste Liber p[er]tinet Conue[n]tuj Clin[iacensi](?)”.
Chamtus (fl. 1542): inscription on 2K9v “Chamtus Me hoc tempore habet anno do[min]j 1542”.
Jean de Louignac (17th century): inscription on first front flyleaf “Domi[n]us Johannes de Louignac [...] dedit hoc volumen donno patri(?) Merlier” followed by a monogram (the final part of the inscription has been subsequently altered to “Ex Libris Merlieris”); inscription on detached parchment pastedown (under ultraviolet light) “Joannes de Louignac [...] dedit hanc biblia[m] [...]”.
Merlier (17th century): see above inscription, below which is an inscription in a different hand “Id[em] m[e]rillus(?) vendidit m[a]g[ist]ro bonaue[n]ture decligny p[resbyter]ro cur[a]to sancti mauricij” followed by Decligny’s signature.
Bonaventure Decligny (17th century), curate of St Maurice: see above.
Charles Duverger (17th/18th century): three inscriptions on first front flyleaf “Ex Libris Caroli Duuergé presbiteri indigni”, “Ex Libris Caroli Duuerger”, “Ce presen Liure appartient a moy Charles Duuergé presttre vicaire de st george”.
University of Glasgow: source unknown; mid 18th-century University Library shelfmark “E. f.7. n.1.” in ink on original parchment pastedown; shelfmark “BE.6.12” on University Library bookplate matching entry in A. Arthur, Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis (Glasguae: 1791).
|Binding:||England, 20th-century blind-tooled hermitage calf, replacing an undated binding of mottled calf over paste boards; restored and rebound by Anthony Gardner, Mar. 1965, with his binder’s note on rear free endpaper; elements of earlier sprinkled red-edging preserved; new endpapers and flyleaves; original front parchment pastedown (part of a 16th-century legal document in Latin) loosely inserted. Size: 293 x 207 mm.|
|Leaf size:||282 x 196 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional marginal annotations, nota marks, manicules and underlining in a 15th/16th-century hand; foliated in sepia ink in a 15th/16th-century hand in roman numerals (the numerals embodying a system of multiplication e.g. ixxxix = 9 x 20 + 9 = 189); index of books of the Bible in a 16th-century hand on second front flyleaf.|
|Decoration:||Initials at the beginning of each book of the Bible supplied in red and blue with reserved white, some with added pen-work decoration; smaller initials throughout supplied in alternate red and blue; paragraph marks supplied in red or blue throughout, and capital strokes in yellow; small pen-and-ink drawing of the head of King Melchisidech on a5r.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting 2A10 (f. 372), and the blank leaves π4 (f. 4), 2K10 (f. 458) and P1 (f. 479); 2K9 (f. 457) mutilated.|