Bartholomaeus Anglicus: De proprietatibus rerum.
[Heidelberg: Printer of Lindelbach (Heinrich Knoblochtzer?)], 21 May 1488.
Fol. π6 a8 b-p6 q8 r-t6 v8 x-y6 A8 B6 C-F6.8 G-M6.6.8 N-P6 Q-X8.6.6 Y8 Z6 AA-DD6.8.  leaves (preliminary quire numbered but not signed).
ISTC ib00139000; GW 3411; Goff B139; BMC III 670 (IB. 12915); CIBN B-102; BSB-Ink B-97.
Two copies listed in Glasgow Incunabula Project; copy 1 held by University of Glasgow Library and copy 2 held by the Mitchell Library
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Ferguson Ag-y.21 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Note:||Title-page (π1) detached.|
|Provenance:||Bredenau (Lower Saxony), St Mary the Virgin: inscription on π1r (under ultraviolet lamp) “Liber diue virginis Marie in Bre[...].
Bursfelde (Lower Saxony), Benedictines, SS. Thomas & Nicolaus: inscription on π1r “Liber S. Thoma[e] in Bursfeldia” - cf. Walsh 574 for this and the previous provenance.
John Scott (1830-1903), shipbuilder, of Halkshill, Largs, Scotland: sale (1905), probably lot 788 ‘Glanville (Bartholomaeus de) De Proprietatibus Rerum ... painted red capitals ... title loose (Hain *2507), oaken boards, stamped leather, clasps. s.l. et nom. imp. 1488’ in 'Catalogue of the valuable and extensive library of the late John Scott, Esq. C.B., Hawkshill, Largs, Ayrshire, which will be sold by auction by Messrs. Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge ... 27th March, 1905'. [London: 1905]; sold to Johnston for £3.15.0 according to the printed list of prices and purchasers’ names appended to the sale catalogue.
George Pyper Johnston (d. 1938), bibliographer and bookseller, Edinburgh.
John Ferguson (1837-1916), Professor of Chemistry, University of Glasgow: presumably purchased from Johnston.
University of Glasgow: Ferguson collection purchase, 1921.
|Binding:||Germany, 15th/16th-century blind-tooled calf (worn) over wooden boards; covers decorated with intersecting blind fillets to form a centre panel bordered by two frames; the panel is divided by intersecting fillets into lozenge and triangular-shaped compartments, each containing a fleuron or a larger five-petalled stamp; remains of two brass clasps, catch plates on front board; offsetting on both inner boards from manuscript pastedowns (both now lost); pasted onto the blank verso of DD8 is a parchment leaf from a 12th-century service book containing 21 lines of text taken from Luke 4:39-40, Jeremiah 14:19-22, Matthew 15:32. Size: 298 × 212 mm.|
|Leaf size:||288 x 204 mm.|
|Annotations:||Erasure on π1r - possibly another provenance inscription|
|Decoration:||Initials supplied in red throughout, frequently with elaborate pen-flourishing; capital strokes, paragraph marks and underlining supplied in red throughout.|
|Provenance:||Johann Albert Fabricius (1668-1736), classicist and bibliographer: inscription “Jo. Alberti Fabricii” on π1r (title-page).
Robert Gourlay (fl. 1839), bookseller and stationer, 85 Main Street, Anderston, Glasgow: pencil inscription with price code on rear pastedown “Bot of Gourlay Oct. 1839 for ca/-”.
John Sanderson (fl. mid 19th century): owner; perhaps the writer of the above inscription.
Stirling’s Public Library (now part of the Mitchell Library), Glasgow: bookplate inscribed “A Donation from John Sanderson Esq” on inner front board.
|Binding:||Germany, 16th-century quarter blind-stamped pigskin over bevelled wooden boards; leather on both boards decorated with a rectangular border formed by a double fillet, and within the rectangle a pear-shaped foliate stamp is repeated end to end to form a vertical chain; spine undecorated; two engraved brass clasps with catch plates on front board - evidence from nail holes and indentations in the wood that these replace an earlier single clasp; dark green-edged leaves; without a front pastedown, a paper pastedown at rear; strip of paper with printed title pasted onto spine; remains of a rectangular paper label in top compartment of spine; vellum manuscript guard strips visible in a few gatherings (portions of large illuminated initials visible on the guard strip between π6 and a1). Size: 303 x 204 mm.|
|Leaf size:||287 x 195 mm.|
|Annotations:||Fairly frequent marginal annotations in a 16th-century hand (some slightly cropped); occasional underlining; faded inscription, unread, on π1r (title-page); 19th-century note on this edition signed “J.B.S.” pasted onto front cover; “No 504 Press 7” in blue pencil, “S122” in pencil, “2004” in ink, and initials “J M B” in purple ink on inner front board.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting leaf ſ1.|