Visiting Academic Researchers

From 21 May 2021, all non-sponsored visiting academic researchers (other than exempt nationals) who are carrying out or taking part in research at postgraduate level or above in a relevant subject area must hold an ATAS certificate before they begin any such research.

Visiting researchers who fail to obtain an ATAS certificate before starting any relevant research activity in the UK will be in breach of the conditions of their visit permission and may face enforcement action as a result.

Full information on the ATAS Scheme and information on how to apply is available through the following links:

Please note that the above information is not intended to be an exhaustive overview of visa categories and requirements. Although we try to ensure that all information is accurate at the time of publishing, the general information on these pages may not fully apply to your specific circumstances and immigration rules and policies may change on short notice.
You should always refer to the Immigration Rules and UKVI Policy Guidance for the full requirements and conditions in the first instance before making an application.