HOW TO CONDUCT AN ONLINE RIGHT TO WORK CHECK
STEP 1 – OBTAIN
- Identify if an online RTW check is possible by confirming the type of immigration permission the individual holds, request copies
- (Prospective) employee logs into https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work to generate a share code
STEP 2 – CHECK
- (Prospective) employee provides share code to employer and this is entered here along with their date of birth : https://www.gov.uk/view-right-to-work
- A ‘profile page’ will appear with a photograph and information on the (prospective) employee’s right to work
- Check that the profile page confirms the person has the right to work (for the specific role/hours)
- Check the picture on the page matches the person you’re seeing (in person or via video)
- Note any other work restrictions/comments on the page
STEP 3 – COPY & RETAIN
- Save a Pdf copy of the profile page and retain this for 2 years after the employment ends
- Record Right to Work information on CoreHR.
- Diarise the date that a repeat check is due and record details on Core, including a review date for a repeat check.
- Also retain a copy of the passport and BRP card (if the individual has a BRP card)
FOR AN EXTENDED GUIDE PLEASE CLICK HERE