Dependants - Skilled Worker Visa

If you have any family members who will join you in the UK, they may apply at the same time as dependants on your Skilled Worker visa application.

Eligible ‘Dependants’ include:

  • Husband/Wife
  • Civil partner
  • Unmarried partner
  • Child (under the age of 18 when they first applied)

How to Apply

An application for a dependant can be made online at the same time as the application of the main Skilled Worker visa applicant who will be sponsored by the University of Glasgow.

If you are applying from within the UK, dependants can usually be included on the same application form.

If you and your dependants are applying from outside the UK at the same time, each dependant will need to complete a separate application form.

Dependants can also apply separately to join the main Skilled Worker visa holder in the UK.

Information regarding the application fees and requirements can be found here:

Relationship requirement - Proof of Genuine and Subsisting Relationship

You will need to demonstrate that your relationship with your dependant is genuine and subsisting by submitting certain documents. For example, you may be required to submit your marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate for your child/children, or documents showing that you have been living in a relationship akin to marriage/civil partnership for at least two years, where applicable.

Please be aware that UK Visas and Immigration have strict rules on dependant child applications if both parents will not be lawfully present in the UK. An application will be refused unless UKVI is satisfied that:

  • the parent with permission as a Skilled Worker is the sole surviving parent; or
  • the parent with permission as a Skilled Worker has sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
  • that there are serious and compelling reasons to grant the child entry clearance or permission to stay with the parent who has permission as a Skilled Worker.

Dependants - Financial Requirement

As an A-rated Sponsor, the University of Glasgow will certify the maintenance for the main applicant and their dependants on the main applicant’s Skilled Worker Certificate of Sponsorship.

Dependants may also be required to provide a Tuberculosis Test Certificate and/or Criminal Record Certificate if this is applicable to them (see above).

Dependants - Conditions of Stay

The grant of leave for a dependant will be valid in line with the leave of the main Skilled Worker visa holder, i.e., the permission will expire on the same day of the permission of the main Skilled Worker visa holder.

Furthermore, the grant of leave will be subject to certain conditions which include the following:

  • No recourse to public funds
  • No employment as a Doctor or Dentist in Training (unless the exemptions under the immigration rules apply)
  • No employment as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach)
  • Nationals of countries listed in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules, might also be required to register with the police. This will generally be indicated on the visa vignette in the passport and/or visa decision letter.
Please note that the above information is not intended to be an exhaustive overview of visa categories and requirements. Although we try to ensure that all information is accurate at the time of publishing, the general information on these pages may not fully apply to your specific circumstances and immigration rules and policies may change on short notice.
You should always refer to the Immigration Rules and UKVI Policy Guidance for the full requirements and conditions in the first instance before making an application.